R230 Varioroof - small pinion gear broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michelten

Car
SL 350 R230
On my R230, the right side varioroof flap has developed somewhat of a play - no longer stays tight in the folded position. The play motion, though, is small enough that keeps the limit switch OK actuated. This condition bothers me, however, because the end position of the flap ends up a bit misaligned when the top is fully open - this condition is likely to worsen over time.
Upon disassembling and observing the area where the flap hinges, I noticed the small pinion gear coaxial to the flap hinge axis is missing a tooth, subsequently failing to tighly hold the small rack - just in the folded position - hence the play in the flap rotation.
I went to get a spare part, but you need to buy the whole assembly including motor, cables, both LH and RH end gears and flap support frames. It is over 500 quid! (… just for a broken tooth…)
Anyone has any suggestions or happens to have this spare element? (ideally the end hinged support frame including the small pinion gear).

3D printer??

Well... in theory yes. In practice I am not certain I have the capability to fit a 3D printed part with the current shaft end - will keep as another option nonetheless. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom