R230 vs R231 a comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToeKnee

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. (Vauxhall insignia diesel now sold) Black Ford Mondeo
IMG-20190420-WA0000.jpg
After owning my new to me R231 for a few days now I'd like to make some comparisons with the previous model. Both are SL500's.
The 231 is better in almost every way except for a few things, the ride comfort, boot space/spare wheel and how draught free the interior is. My 230 has good ABC and it rides so much better than the 231 which seems to crash over large bumps and potholes which the 230 would just glide over. Whilst out for a night drive last night both my partner and I thought that the 231 was very draughty, the 230 always seemed to hold the heat in better and there have been times when we've not realised how cold it is outside till we've gotten out of the car. Last night, my right arm was very cold and Julie's hair was whipping around in the breeze which wouldn't have happened in the 230. Just to say I have the normal fabric draught stop in the 230 and electric one in the 231.
Every other aspect of the car is better, the seats are more supportive, the interior is better and more modern, it's roomier inside and it's a lot faster, especially the acceleration over 60mph.
I'm sure as I get more used to it I'll notice many more differences but thought I'd post my initial thoughts now. One other thing, the airscarf! I have a long body and even with the head rest as high a possible the hot air only hits my shoulders and not my neck.

Windows down does get a bit flappy over 40mph, windows up nice & warm most of the time in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

All windows up in both cases.

Heated seats in combo with Airscarf and max heat usually does the job.

Interesting post. Regarding ride comfort, what are the wheel sizes on both?

View attachment 85443
the hot air only hits my shoulders and not my neck.

I think 'air scarf' is probably a bit misleading. I'm 6'2" & it is also more aligned with my lower neck / shoulders. I look at it more as those hot air curtains you find in a shop entrance. So A/c set to 'focus' vents angled slightly upward to meet the air scarf and with heated seats & I'm in a little warm bubble. Works perfectly for me.

Do you have ABC on your R231?

Love the 231, looks well up to date.

Windows down does get a bit flappy over 40mph, windows up nice & warm most of the time in my experience.

I've fond that thee is a sweet spot somewhere between 60 & 70 - above and below (except very low speeds can be lees than ideal but perfectly acceptable. I prefer to have all the windows and the wind deflector down ....car also looks better.

It think that there are also unrealistic expectations of how breeze free the interior of a convertible should be - I like the feel of the wind ruffling what is left of my hair!

Vey nice Tony, you took your time :p I've found Airscarf to be useless beyond 30mph

To answer some queries, the 231 doesn't have ABC, it also has bigger wheels/thinner sidewall aspect. I've also tried adjusting the heating and I can get it acceptable in the car if the heating is on full heat from center vents. I'm not criticising the 231 in any way, just voicing my opinion.
I also think the 231 looks better although my other half say the 230 looks "friendlier"!
And Darren, yes it took a while to find just what I wanted, just need to sell the 230 now

To answer some queries, the 231 doesn't have ABC, it also has bigger wheels/thinner sidewall aspect. I've also tried adjusting the heating and I can get it acceptable in the car if the heating is on full heat from center vents. I'm not criticising the 231 in any way, just voicing my opinion.
I also think the 231 looks better although my other half say the 230 looks "friendlier"!
And Darren, yes it took a while to find just what I wanted, just need to sell the 230 now

Comparing an ABC car, to a car without ABC (and lower profile rubber) is not really a fair comparison ....not knocking your statements but there are are good reasons for the ride difference.

What you say is true, but you could also say that comparing a 2012 interior to a 2006 interior isn't a fair comparison or comparing a 5.5 n/a engine to a 4.7 twin turbo isn't a fair comparison, in fact you could say that no comparison is fair unless the cars are identical in which case the comparison is useless

What you say is true, but you could also say that comparing a 2012 interior to a 2006 interior isn't a fair comparison or comparing a 5.5 n/a engine to a 4.7 twin turbo isn't a fair comparison, in fact you could say that no comparison is fair unless the cars are identical in which case the comparison is useless

No - you are comparing (the ride comfort) between a car that had ride improvement features and better wheels (in terms of ride comfort) to a car that has neither. It is like saying my old car was really nice and cool in summer and my new car is too hot (and not mention that the new car has no a/c). ;).

Otherwise, it is not a comparison but simply a difference.:)

However, I'm sure you will love the new car!

231 is quite tyre pressure sensitive.

I find it rides best on tyres pressures set out on the petrol flap - 2 passengers and light luggage - but relying on the readings of the TPMS sensors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom