R230 vs R231 a comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
231 is quite tyre pressure sensitive.

I find it rides best on tyres pressures set out on the petrol flap - 2 passengers and light luggage - but relying on the readings of the TPMS sensors
Thanks you just reminded me to let some air out for my forthcoming trip to Cornwall!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes, it’s the ABC and tyre size that are driving that ride quality comparison. I switched from an SL500 to SL350 a few years back and while I enjoyed the increased use of engine speed that I got from the 350, I really not the loss of “waftiness” that I got from losing the ABC.

The SL500 with ABC and smaller wheels is a remarkable cruiser, producing great comfort despite really high speeds and poor roads. It’s all a matter of personal taste as to where the priorities are.

Good luck with your sale. That’s a great colour too, which should sell pretty quickly. Quite tempted myself !

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

231 is quite tyre pressure sensitive.

I find it rides best on tyres pressures set out on the petrol flap - 2 passengers and light luggage - but relying on the readings of the TPMS sensors

So when do you measure your pressures - at the garage as you adjust the pressure? I follow the recommended but always check when the car has been standing for several hours - i.e the tyres are cold (and I have a good quality pressure gauge).

I checked the air pressures last night after a run and they seemed a bit low compared to the filler cap. I'm gong to check this morning and adjust now they're cold. Please don't think I'm unhappy with the suspension of the 231, I just wanted to point out in the original thread that it was quite noticibly different. Again, thanks for all the comments and advice.
Ps, if anyone is interested in my old 230, it's for sale and will be advertised in the middle of May once I'm back from two weeks holiday.

I checked the air pressures last night after a run and they seemed a bit low compared to the filler cap. I'm gong to check this morning and adjust now they're cold. Please don't think I'm unhappy with the suspension of the 231, I just wanted to point out in the original thread that it was quite noticibly different. Again, thanks for all the comments and advice.
Ps, if anyone is interested in my old 230, it's for sale and will be advertised in the middle of May once I'm back from two weeks holiday.
If anything the low tyre pressure will give a slightly better ride. I run my 19's on 32 psi all round.

No - you are comparing (the ride comfort) between a car that had ride improvement features and better wheels (in terms of ride comfort) to a car that has neither. It is like saying my old car was really nice and cool in summer and my new car is too hot (and not mention that the new car has no a/c). ;).

Otherwise, it is not a comparison but simply a difference.:)
On the contrary, it is an *exact* comparison between a car that supersedes the other, no difference to comparing a R129 SL500 to a R230 SL500.

Dom wasn't over impressed with the ride quality.... ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

too low pressure can also mess up the ride

I don’t measure the pressure with a gauge. I look at the car TPMS reading and put in or take out air - guess work - until I get to what it should be according to the TPMS reading. Can take a few gos

Taking luggage? Probably need to add air .:)
Yes but I over inflated them on my last trip as pressure warning came on and I feared a slow puncture so went to the max of the range all round, no more warnings and I forgot to re-adjust...

Dom wasn't over impressed with the ride quality.... ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That is hillarous never seen that before, thanks for sharing.

On the contrary, it is an *exact* comparison between a car that supersedes the other, no difference to comparing a R129 SL500 to a R230 SL500.

No - they have different (optional) specifications that directly impact ride quality. If both had ABC (or not) and the same size and type of tyres etc - that would be an *exact* comparison. It is well known that ABC and sidewall height make a big difference to ride quality so of course the ABC model has a better ride.

No - they have different (optional) specifications that directly impact ride quality. If both had ABC (or not) and the same size and type of tyres etc - that would be an *exact* comparison. It is well known that ABC and sidewall height make a big difference to ride quality so of course the ABC model has a better ride.
On a technical point I completely agree with you, absolutely, but it *is* a direct comparison because one is superseded by the other, it’s exactly the same model, just newer. If the OP had bought a ‘63 then I’d agree.

It’s generally accepted that the “new” model will improve on the “old” model, yet it sounds in this case as though it’s actually to the detriment of the car.

In Rorywquin's defence I understand where he is coming from, with the SL R231, ABC suspension is an optional extra (which he has) that gives a totally different ride, similar no doubt to the R230 which has ABC so a comparison with the extra fitted would be a closer comparison.

Mercedes made ABC optional on the non AMG R231 to appease those concerned about ABC reliability issues, trade off being a firmer ride somewhere between the SLK and the old SL.

I still think its a valid comparison otherwise why would countless car programmes compare cars based on performance, ride quality, equipment levels. A comparison is a comparison between 2 different systems, types, designs etc. A comparison between 2 exact same systems is not a comparison.

Are both cars on run flats, or just the 231 because that would make the difference in ride comfort.

R231 was not fitted with run flats from factory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom