R230 vs R231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToeKnee

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
R230 SL500 in teal blue, R231 SL500 in black. (Vauxhall insignia diesel now sold) Black Ford Mondeo
I've had my 2006 SL500 just over two years now and am thinking of upgrading to a 2013 R231 SL500, has anyone done a similar swap and can give me some idea of what they thought were the good and bad points/differences between the two models?

I own a R230 and know nothing about the R231. But I suspect that it's better in every way, except maybe styling which is a personal taste thing. That's evolution.

I've had both a 2005 SL500 and just sold my 2013 SL63... they're totally different cars however the front of the 231 is an acquired taste but the rest of the car is gorgeous.. my 63 was highly optioned and was a great car... I did prefer the 230 shape though but they're somewhat dated now... go and drive one...it'll feel similar but allot better and fresh...

The R230 is a beautiful well proportioned car, The R231 much less so, especially the earlier ones with the crooked headlights.
But the 230 is getting long in the tooth and has a history of issues - especially leaks so it would be the 231 for me.

R231 is an amazing car, its just the pre-facelift ones arent the most stunning to look at from the front.

However, their rarity makes them cool :D

Love my R231 SL400

chassis is all aluminium, roof has magnesium etc, so it’s lighter and stiffer than R230

I have grown to love the slightly ungainly looks

bshpYNZk.jpg

Where was that taken Sean ?

The biggest problem the 231 suffers from is in the looks department but that’s mostly because of how aesthetically perfect the R230 was.

Wife’s brother has a silver R231. It’s not the prettiest of cars.

Last edited:
Is there anyone in the Leicestershire area with a R231 Sl500 that wouldn't mind me having a look round?

It has to be R231 (yes i'm biased) it's leagues ahead of the old dinosaur R230 both in technology, reliability and you get more power with lower fuel consumption. What's not to like

Heres mine in Ieper in July
IMG_0714.jpg

The biggest problem the 231 suffers from is in the looks department but that’s mostly because of how aesthetically perfect the R230 was.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

It has to be R231 (yes i'm biased) it's leagues ahead of the old dinosaur R230 both in technology, reliability and you get more power with lower fuel consumption. What's not to like

The styling... But if I had one, I'm sure I'd grow to like it in time.

The styling... But if I had one, I'm sure I'd grow to like it in time.

I'm sure the R230 looks fantastic.......at the repair shop:p

I think the R230 looks like a large clk and the R231 a large SLK, horses for courses i suppose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom