R230 Windscreen Washer Bottle Leaking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WolfieS

Car
2005 SL350
Hi,
I've seen the previous (2009) post about the fact that if you overfill the Windscreen Washer Bottle on an SL, it will leak out of the neck joint; however, mine has just started to leak (seemingly all by itself) without having been refilled. Details are as follows:

Over the past week, I have found water under the RHS of my 2005 SL350 coming from the area behind the front RH wheel - it has not leaked before this week, the car has not been used for 3 weeks and I have not topped up the Windscreen Wash for a couple of months because I have not used the car! When I switched on the ignition today, I received a warning that my Windscreen Wash Level was LOW, consequently, I topped up the windscreen wash with circa 5 litres of screen-wash where that windscreen wash is now dripping onto the floor.

As I seem to have developed this leak before I topped up the screen-wash level, is it conceivable that I really do have a Windscreen Wash Bottle leak? If so, how do I get access to the Wind Screen Wash Bottle to repair it?

Any advice would be appreciated as I don't understand how a leak can suddenly develop all by itself. Also, I would like to fix it myself and hope that getting access to the bottle will be easy.

Thanks

Wolfie Souter
Westbury, Wiltshire, UK
2005 SL350 (R230)

Last edited:
It could be a leaking bottle but I would want to check the tubes, joins etc.
A Google search gave this R230 Windscreen Washer Bottle Question - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums (Post 9) and http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/71658-windscreen-washer-bottle-r230.html

Or you may want to wait and see what owners on the forum say about this issue.

Thanks, I had seen that specific thread via Google BUT the document being referred to is not attached; therefore, unfortunately, my question remains: how do I get access to the Windscreen Washer Bottle so that I can check whether it is actually leaking?

Regards

Wolfie Souter

I had the same problem on my old sl before I crashed it!

To get to the washer bottle you have to remove a few screws to remove the front drivers side inner wheel arch cover.
I did mine without taking the wheel off, I got to the bottle joints with my hands by prying it open. I sealed it with sealer.

To be honest it was a half asred effort and only worked for a while(I then wrote the car off before trying again).

I'm guessing if you remove the wheel and remover the arch liner you'll have good access and visibility to do a proper job.

Mine just started for no reason too.

Thanks, was yours only leaking from the bottle joints and did those leaks result in the washer bottle leaking to 'empty'? I don't understand how mine can leak and lose all of its contents if, supposedly, the joint is at the top.

i dont know as i never got to the bottom of it.

like you, i was confused as to why the 'washer fluid empty' warning kept coming on. my symptoms were the same as yours.
if i had to investigate again, i'd have no concerns about stripping the inner arch off and getting stuck in, wouldn't take long.

Okay, thanks ... I'm going down to Plymouth in the SL tomorrow and will not be able to check it out until next weekend. Will let you know what I find after that.

Okay, a bit late for an update ...
Took it apart and found that the rubber washer through which the pump locates proved to be the source of the leak - replaced both.
However, it transpired that my windscreen washer pump also decided to fail at the same time - replaced. Diagnostics proved interesting because the car 'knew' that the pump was faulty and switched the 12v to the pump off ... I spent hours trying to find a blown fuse that wasn't. Replaced to pump and 12v supply returned.
Anyway, all sorted and £5.00 for the 2x rubbber grommets/washers.

Okay, a bit late for an update ...
Took it apart and found that the rubber washer through which the pump locates proved to be the source of the leak - replaced both.
However, it transpired that my windscreen washer pump also decided to fail at the same time - replaced. Diagnostics proved interesting because the car 'knew' that the pump was faulty and switched the 12v to the pump off ... I spent hours trying to find a blown fuse that wasn't. Replaced to pump and 12v supply returned.
Anyway, all sorted and £5.00 for the 2x rubbber grommets/washers.
Hello. I now have the same problem. Would you have any old pictures or references to the rubber washes to be replaced? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom