R231 SL350 been parked up for 6 years. Any advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
I've just put a holding deposit on a nicely specced 2013 SL350 from a Mercedes Authorised Dealer. This car has been parked up in an underground car park for the last 6 years and has only 5,400 miles on it. The Mercedes Dealership has replaced all the tyres, brakes and battery. In addition to an MOT (no advisories) the mechanical preparation carried out includes a Full Mercedes-Benz Approved Service.

As it has been unused for so long, Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks

Hi, pretty much every rubber component, hoses, water, hydraulic and suspension. Wouldn't stop me buying it, do be certain that anti-freeze, brake fluid, air can have all been changed, not just checked. Good luck, I hope it works for you, sounds wonderful.

I am not a mechanic, but perished rubber could be an issues, hoses etc, perhaps get a really thorough check over and don't push it until fully checked.

Cheers. I'll ask the dealer when I speak with him tomorrow

maybe check the fuel system, not sure but could be some sort of sediment in the tank if you get to low fuel levels, 6 years unused is a long time imagine siting in your favourite seat for 6 years then jumping up and going for a run ... :oops:

The manual says 6 weeks stood and there will start to be issues.

I stood my old R230 350 for 6 months and a lot of belts, pipes and pulleys gave up, along with suspension springs. Thats why I never parked my SL63 R231 up over winter.

I would ask the MB dealer to replace the ATF, brake fluid and diff fluid as part of the service. I would also ask what make of tyres have been fitted - there have been stories on here about main dealers fitting cheap tyres. If the underground car park was dry then probably not much harm has come to it once the battery tyres and brakes plus service have been done. If it were me I would have it up on a ramp and have a look underneath - if the storage was damp you will be able to see the evidence underneath.

what is the reason why it sat unused for 6 years?

have you got it for a really amazing price?

AC hoses and joins could (probably will) be a problem; hoses/connectors dry out if there's no gas to lubricate them

expensive to fix

what is the reason why it sat unused for 6 years?

have you got it for a really amazing price?
I'll be speaking with the dealer shortly to get more info. Price is £24k. Extras include Airscarf, Harmon Kardon system, electric Wind Diffuser, memory pack, active multi contour seats, keyless go, soft close doors, remote closing boot, active park assist, reverse camera, intelligent lights, ambient lighting, AMG pack, Magic Sky panoramic roof.

Be nice if you had some pictures to show the condition.

You will be wanting at the very least:

Full Service, all filters, fluids (engine/coolant/brake).
Transmission service and flush.
Service entry updated.
Aircon recharge.
New battery or batteries.
New tyres all round.
Possible discs all round due to corrosion.
Good inspection all round, esp. brake pipes and hoses.

You will be covered by the Approved Used warranty, which is pretty solid and should give peace of mind. After 12 months you'll have the option to extend it if you have any concerns ... but any possible issues should have surfaced by then.

This comes with a 14 day money back guarantee: I can return it for a full refund within 14 days if I don't like it.

Just spoke with the dealer. Later today he will email me pics and a video (including underneath). Pics to follow here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom