R231 sl63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

regbuser

Car
CLS 350d
Hi all, I don't usually trouble the AMG section, but I thought I'd cast around for experiences/opinions with regards to practicalities of owning and running a R231 (13 plate) SL63 AMG, so please (acej?) fire away..

nothing?
nada?
zilch?

OK

When I drove I was surprised at how civilised/refined/liveable it was in C mode, I could definitely see me clocking up the miles.
It was when S, S+, and ultimately AMG were selected that my levels of adrenaline were elevated! That immediate surge and bark from the V8, followed by the howl as it barrelled along under acceleration; and then when slowing the pop and sputter as it downshifted - a very nearly addictive combination.
Add in the more than adequate twisty road/roundabout handling, and the useable boot and auto hardtop, this car could be a contender.
Any consensus on average mpg for the 5.5 twin turbo unit?

nothing?
nada?
zilch?

OK

When I drove I was surprised at how civilised/refined/liveable it was in C mode, I could definitely see me clocking up the miles.
It was when S, S+, and ultimately AMG were selected that my levels of adrenaline were elevated! That immediate surge and bark from the V8, followed by the howl as it barrelled along under acceleration; and then when slowing the pop and sputter as it downshifted - a very nearly addictive combination.
Add in the more than adequate twisty road/roundabout handling, and the useable boot and auto hardtop, this car could be a contender.
Any consensus on average mpg for the 5.5 twin turbo unit?

I am a new owner of a 2008 230 SL63 the one with the N/A V8 so can't comment on the later turbo car but the gearbox in it as you say is superb. Over the last few weeks I've tried a 2011 Aston Martin Vantage S and the gearbox in that was rubbish, the best is the PDK on the 911 Turbo but there was something about the SL63 that made me buy mine on the spot. After three days and a lot of petrol and big grins I love this gearbox/car the sound on the downshifts should be illegal I am of the opinion that I will get through a fair few rear tyres as it seems to smoke the rears if you are a bit clumsy with your right foot but as far as I'm concerned despite trying about 6 different cars in the last two weeks I have definitely made the right choice. I now describe it as snarling and spitting on the overrun and I don't think I'll tire of that sound.

Thanks Birma :)

No problem, I expect the later car may be a bit better on fuel than mine although I doubt very much of a difference.
My results so far.
Drive to home from Porsche Centre Portsmouth, new to car drove carefully 16 MPG.
Enjoying the power showing friends how fast it is hooning on twisty A roads 11.8 MPG
Today I went to a Pistonheads breakfast meeting along the boring and unmarked police car patrolled M27 so I set it in comfort mode stuck rigidly to the 70 limit and enjoyed the Harmon Kardon sound system and over my 30 mile journey got 26 MPG just wafting along in great comfort.
Hope that gives you a very rough idea of what I've experienced in the three days I've had it.
Mine has the full performance pack which is well with checking out on a suitably equipped car.

Last edited:
I was expecting teens when driving spiritedly, thanks for confirming, hmmm, lot to think about

I'm really quite taken with this one (cerussite grey, bengal red interior) >

I was expecting teens when driving spiritedly, thanks for confirming, hmmm, lot to think about

I'm really quite taken with this one (cerussite grey, bengal red interior) >

Just checked the specification on the link via the picture, that one has everything including the full performance pack a superb car. Have you driven it?

..not yet... my inner CFO is giving my inner petrolhead a talking to..

..not yet... my inner CFO is giving my inner petrolhead a talking to..

It's a good car (from my limited experience) to try early on as I found the other cars I tried without the performance pack were different in a very subtle way.
I can't say whether it was the fact I'd driven a few before the one I bought and was a little more confident but I now know I made the right decision in buying a performance pack equipped car.

regbuser said:
Hi all, I don't usually trouble the AMG section, but I thought I'd cast around for experiences/opinions with regards to practicalities of owning and running a R231 (13 plate) SL63 AMG, so please (acej?) fire away..

Sorry just got to this.

I have had mine for 2 and a bit years now it's on a 62 plate and use it as my, daily commute, track car and drag car.

I have done around 27k miles, and have it running around the mid 700 hps with 1200nm torque. I have averaged 14.1mpg since owning

I love the car and spend around 3-4hrs day driving it.

I have had a all sorts of cars and it's the beat all rounder I have ever owned. I prefer it than my Porsche turbo cab.

It's a big car and parking can be interesting in town. It's not to flash and doesn't get to much attention and I haven't had anything negative at all.

It's going to be a tough act to follow so I would say fill your boots.

Justin

regbuser said:
Thanks acej :)
Welcome where in Essex are you I have seen the car your looking at . It's looks very good.

If you want to know anything just drop me a pm.

Not in Essex, in Oxon, but I can get down when required, thanks for offer.

Interestingly, the 2 year business lease deal on a new one is very cashflow friendly, a CLS 63 S even more so

Hi David,

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with a Phaeton and AMG :D

It's been ages since we met at Goodwood. Time for another one? ;)

Harry

Hi David,

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with a Phaeton and AMG :D

It's been ages since we met at Goodwood. Time for another one? ;)

Harry

Hi Harry good to hear from you, I got bored with the Porsche and couldn't resist the SL 63 and I really love it, just checking to see what deal I can get for half a dozen rear tyres as I seem to keep smoking them.

Hello regbuser,

Apologies, I had meant to respond to this but I forgot to come back to the post.

I have had the car from new on a 63 plate, I have only done circa 13K but it is my main vehicle, it is very easy to live with for every day use.

I have not started down the modification track as with my obsessive nature, it would get very silly, very quickly!!

The only negative issue I have had with the car is rust where the wheels mount to the axle and the wheel nuts. Not a major issue but one that you feel could and should be avoided.

I do a mix of driving but mainly motorways and good A roads, I have managed 24MPG since purchase. Switching to AMG mode to 'make progress' certainly has an impact but to be honest (an possibly to the derision of my peers on this site), I often leave the car in C mode as I never feel it wanting.

Some positives -
* I love the drive, it is very civilised cruising around town in traffic and great to fun to push along the twisty A roads.
* The V8 burble is never tiresome.
* The drivers seat is a fantastic place to be, the interior is comfortable, intuitive, classy and well finished.
* It does not seem to suffer with negative reaction from other people (people will let you out at junctions) and I have received a lot of very nice comments from strangers (about the car obviously).
* Boot space is realistic, you can get a golf trolley and golf clubs in the boot with room to spare and still get the roof down.

I would highly recommend the car, I am very happy I bought it.

I also live in Oxfordshire, so I look forward to seeing you in the SL63 on the roads soon!

Steve

Hello regbuser,

I do a mix of driving but mainly motorways and good A roads, I have managed 24MPG since purchase. Switching to AMG mode to 'make progress' certainly has an impact but to be honest (an possibly to the derision of my peers on this site), I often leave the car in C mode as I never feel it wanting.

Sorry, this should have read 20MPG, not 24.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom