R231 Water Ingress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the R231 has the same water ingress problems as the R230 - I have a 2015 car.

Many thanks

Not heard of R231 having water ingress issues .. I haven’t had any

That is good to know. I assume they have drain holes that need to be kept clear though?

I assume that as the 231 is still relatively young the issues have not raised their ugly heads yet. I will vaseline my rubbers every year (or use Krytox) and make sure all the drains are blown through regularly just in case

kc

The R231 came out in 2012, so not that young! I'd hope that if there is a problem with water getting in it would have been reported by someone in the last 7 years.

I had a very slight leak behind the drivers seat at the bottom of the glass quarter window. I treated all the roof seals with Krytox and the leak has gone. As have some annoying rattles going over rough ground. Expensive stuff but well worth it.

Hi Bayleaf,
Can I ask how old your car is and how many miles has it done?
Does it live in a garage or outside?

kc

I had a very slight leak behind the drivers seat at the bottom of the glass quarter window. I treated all the roof seals with Krytox and the leak has gone. As have some annoying rattles going over rough ground. Expensive stuff but well worth it.
Snap, except I used gummi pflege

Hi Kc The car is a 2013 model with 34k on the clock. It's kept in a garage now but I don't know about previous owners. I've had it for four months but it had the leak then. Reading forums and watching video's it's a common issue on cars with this type of roof mechanism, and easily remedied.

BL

SLK250. 2012, roof leak in roof seals, not window but the seal joints on the actual roof passenger side. Must fill up roof lining, so when I brake the water comes out of the roof lining by the window seal at the front. Mercedes quoted me £1200 to break down the roof and re bond or re seal. So any thoughts welcome. Thanks

Try one of the above Gummi Pfelge might be your best bet as it's cheaper before you take it in somewhere. Open the roof half way and leave the engine running to keep the hydraulic pressure constant treat all the seals you can get to. Be aware that the roof may close after some time ( mine didn't ) I just got an audible warning after about 10 mins but it didn't close. Have a look on you tube as well there are some video's on there showing you how to go about it.
Good Luck.
BL

Thanks. Will do, but it's not the normal seals, it's those in the roof assembly, hence I get water when I brake from the roof lining. But I'll do them too. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom