R320 cdi sport map or brabus or none

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

makam pete

Car
R320 Sport
hi guys just purchased 07 R320. its my first merc so dont know much about engines. been reading on here but too many variations on engines etc. basically wanting to know if a map or box is available? heard and read some negative stuff regarding the boxes.

Your engine can be remapped no problem. Stick to a remap or tuning box from a big name know for tuning Mercedes and you'll be fine, although the remap is considered the more elegant solution.

Calling MSL about a Eurocharged map would be a good start. For a tuning box, Kleemann are well known and somewhat cheaper than Brabus.

If you can find the Brabus tuning box at a sensible price then that would be Utopia.

cheers bobby. is it ok to map a car with 106k on clock? all merc dealer history

As long as the engine and transmission is generally well maintained without any faults, then the mileage shouldn't pose a problem.

The likelihood of a problem arising after a remap is greater than a lower mileage car, but not measurably so, and that relatively greater risk remains even if you leave it completely standard!

MSL will give the car a once over before remapping it too :thumb:

Hi, I am just looking at a 2018 R320 with 140k miles. I am intending to remap it as I do all of my cars. Just wondered if you got yours done and if you (or anyone else) knows what the changes are like? I would love better fuel economy if possible, even at the expense of performance. Does anyone have rough ideas of MPG figures before and after?

Hi, I am just looking at a 2018 R320 with 140k miles. I am intending to remap it as I do all of my cars. Just wondered if you got yours done and if you (or anyone else) knows what the changes are like? I would love better fuel economy if possible, even at the expense of performance. Does anyone have rough ideas of MPG figures before and after?[/QUOTE

2018????
Looks like I have lost some months.

HAHA, sorry! 2008 (blush)

hi guys just purchased 07 R320. its my first merc so dont know much about engines. been reading on here but too many variations on engines etc. basically wanting to know if a map or box is available? heard and read some negative stuff regarding the boxes.

Google "Pendle Performance". The original (it's also a franchise operation now) is in Barnoldswick (BB18 5EN); based on my Google research, I went and met the founder, Martin, and I was very impressed. He wasn't prepared to do the Peugeot I had then because the particular Peugeot ECU fitted is at risk of going t1ts-up and the only cure would be a new unit, but he wouldn't take payment for the dyno run he'd done before starting to look at the map. He struck me as a thoroughly decent, honest bloke who really knew his onions, and I'd very happily use his service again.

So far as tuning boxes are concerned, I was rather pleasantly surprised by an old E320 diesel I bought which had a TDI Tuning box on it, and I've fitted one of theirs to my E350 Bluetec. I haven't been able to arrange a dyno run for it yet, but it certainly feels much stronger.

I wrote earlier in another thread: "I'm pretty impressed. The mid-range difference in particular is very marked. Turbo lag? Not so as you'd notice. It just pulls smoothly and hard, with only a slight increase in sound in the cabin, all the way through the rev range; iron fist in velvet glove, rather than the great hairy-chested creature that is an E55K. I'd imagine the power delivery is more like a V12's now."

As a comparison, my son has just bought a 2014 Audi A6 quattro estate, with the three-litre diesel engine, for which Audi claim a 0-60 time of 5.3 seconds. MB claim 6.7 secs for mine. We had to do a couple of comparison standing-start runs, didn't we? (From the lights on the East Lancs Expressway, if anyone's interested). His is stock; mine was in Sport, and in the full-power mode on the TDI box. His was definitely a touch quicker than mine, but not much; half a second to 60, perhaps?

It doesn't feel fast, but the numbers increase pretty quickly on the speedo, particularly in the mid-range. It's very civilised. Basically, exactly the same as before, only on steroids now...

Last edited:
Thanks, interesting post! Audi 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, really?! I hope that figure isn't as caressed as their MPG figures ;0-) !!!
I think you're referring to a plug in tuning box? i would be looking at a remap i think, only ever had those and always been happy. Do you have any idea how it would affect the mpg, noticeable improvement i would hope

There's a Brabus D6 box on ebay at the mo'.
Just over £100 last time I looked.

assume you mean item number
232532004113 - its £200 now.
No idea what one of those is. Is it better than a remap? I really don't know much about this sort of thing, other than I thought I knew that a remap was always better than a push fit job as it's tailored to each specific engine. Am I wrong here?

assume you mean item number
232532004113 - its £200 now.
No idea what one of those is. Is it better than a remap? I really don't know much about this sort of thing, other than I thought I knew that a remap was always better than a push fit job as it's tailored to each specific engine. Am I wrong here?

No, not that one. The one i saw sold for £102. Bargain.
Brabus boxes are the exception to the usual plug and play jobs.
MB approved, King's ransom new.

Bummer, I would have bought that even before I have found my R320!
What exactly does it do? I read in the listing I mentioned that it improves power and fuel economy. That's what a remap does too. But how is this different and why would MB approve of this and not a remap (or maybe they do approve remaps?). Just curious to know how it works and what it does to the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom