R320 Cut out pulling away after new turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam watson

Hi,
I replaced the turbo on my 2006 R320 CDI as the compressor wheel was damaged from the seal going soft and being sucked into it.

Drove fine for the last couple of days, parked up last night and then when to drive it after about 3 hours. It started fine and drove out the carpark OK. As I tried to accelerate it lost all power and cut out. Restarted but as soon as i tried to move off the engine died again. Had to get a mate to tow it back to the car park. After 10-15 minutes I was able to drive it around the carpark but didn't want to risk taking it out on the road so no idea if it would die again if I took it over 10-15mph.

Any ideas what could be wrong? No smoke or engine light, starts normally with no untoward noises. I'm going back later to take a look, I assume something has gone wrong with the turbo swap, anyone know the symptoms of a seized turbo or similar?

thanks
Adam

Hi,
I replaced the turbo on my 2006 R320 CDI as the compressor wheel was damaged from the seal going soft and being sucked into it.

Drove fine for the last couple of days, parked up last night and then when to drive it after about 3 hours. It started fine and drove out the carpark OK. As I tried to accelerate it lost all power and cut out. Restarted but as soon as i tried to move off the engine died again. Had to get a mate to tow it back to the car park. After 10-15 minutes I was able to drive it around the carpark but didn't want to risk taking it out on the road so no idea if it would die again if I took it over 10-15mph.

Any ideas what could be wrong? No smoke or engine light, starts normally with no untoward noises. I'm going back later to take a look, I assume something has gone wrong with the turbo swap, anyone know the symptoms of a seized turbo or similar?

thanks
Adam
The car will have logged a fault code because of this , icarsoft code reader or MB Star diagnostics will pinpoint the code .
Is this the om642 V6 engine ?

yes it is the OM642. I only have one of the bluetooth odb adapters and the torque app. Any chance of that being able to get the code? Not used it on this car before

yes it is the OM642. I only have one of the bluetooth odb adapters and the torque app. Any chance of that being able to get the code? Not used it on this car before
Anything is worth a go to try and find a start point . Did you replace the actuator as well ?

Yes the recon turbo came with a new actuator attached

You can check the actuator is working by getting someone to watch what happens when you turn the ignition on - it should move up and down. After you start the car you should also see it move if you rev it.

Read the codes. It only shows a pending fault of exhaust pressure too high P0473. Going to check the turbo spins ok

On my om642 , fuse F44 (15amp) in the engine bay fuse box which is by the brake fluid reservoir on my car . This fuse covers the turbo, inlet port motor .
Might be worth checking as well

I'll check the fuse, thanks.

Turbo spins freely and has no play. Actuator moves when ignition is turned on. Could the cat be blocked?

Fuses are fine. Going to risk a test drive then redo the codes

Car drove home absolutely fine, not a hiccup and no faults logged. No idea what to do now

Check all of the hoses are attached properly and check for splits in the charge cooler hoses as well.

Splits can be difficult to see in these. I had similar symptoms of intermittent power loss fixed by turning the ignition off and on again.

It was a split charge cooler hose.

If something has clogged the catalytic convertors, this can create exhaust pressure that results in 3000rpm limit and limp mode.
I had both sides cats breaking up that caused this, but maybe some gunky rubber mess from a rubber seal managed to get its way though to there?

It may be that the exhaust back pressure sensor is on its way out or has been "fooled" into thinking that there is a problem - hence the code. I would clear the existing code, run the car and see what happens. If it is the sensor its not expensive and 5 minutes to change.

All the above faults won’t make the engine cut, lose power but not cut out. I would be looking fuel leak or air in fuel system.

Broke down again today. Had to limp it home with the engine light on. Has the P0473 fault stored. Exhaust pressure. I think I'll see if I can get someone with proper diagnostics to come and have a look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom