R320 warning triangle on dash clocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeysnowey

Car
E320 CDI (Retired) - Now driving R Class 2009 Sport
Hi all, My R320 has been behaving a bit weird and I am totally stumped as to what the problem could be. I had it remapped a few days ago (not related to the problem which existed beforehand) and they plugged it into diagnostics as a matter of routine prior to the remap. They found no serious faults except for a dodgy glow plug which could end up being a pain apparently but nothing else.

Several times now (most times I drive the car) I leave my house on wet roads, rural roads, and it ...... here is the hard bit, explaining it.... it feels like the car is dragging at the back for a split second, it happens a few times every few miles. Its like i lose traction, like the back end is a bit loose or hit an oily patch.One time the rear end actually felt loose enough that I felt like i might skid as i was going round a bend. When this happens the warning triangle (exclamation mark in yellow triangle) flashes in the middle of the speedo. It only happens for a few seconds (when the car feels a bit weird) and then goes off and the car drives normally.

I have no idea what the could be, and with the diagnostics not showing anything, maybe its hardware and not detectable by software, such as a sticking brake calliper, thats the best suggestion I have. I will book it into the garage i think, but wondered if any resident MB Club experts have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks

It sounds like your ABS light is flashing, which means you ARE losing traction momentarily.
Did the re-map add some low down torque? That might explain it.

Thanks. Its not related to the remap at all. is that an ABS light?

Thought the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle is ESP warning of a loss of traction.

Could be due to one of many things from worn tyres, heavy right foot and a real loss of traction to a faulty sensor somewhere.

You said diagnostics showed nothing, was that on Star?

To be honest, occasional flashes on a wet bendy road, especially with cold tyres (you said you have just left home) are what I would expect with a heavy car in winter.

Last edited:
Thought the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle is ESP warning of a loss of traction.

Could be due to one of many things from worn tyres, heavy right foot and a real loss of traction to a faulty sensor somewhere.

To be honest, occasional flashes on a wet bendy road, especially with cold tyres (you said you have just left home) are what I would expect with a heavy car in winter.
This.

At the moment my ESP light is doing a lot of flashing. - Mostly that's my fault; heavy right foot with summer tyres on a cold, wet road. Tyres start to spin, and the car cuts the power; it's annoying when you were in control.

As above.

It's ESP cutting in.

On my W203 C180K, it happened rarely, and always in the wet.

Haven't seen it yet happen on my current W204 C180.

Of course it will be made worse if your tyres are worn or over-inflated, or just don't stick well to the road for whatever reason.

And it will not show on STAR because it is not a fault, it's a feature - the car works as designed.

Yep, this is the traction control cutting in to stop you ending up in a ditch

This.

At the moment my ESP light is doing a lot of flashing. - Mostly that's my fault; heavy right foot with summer tyres on a cold, wet road. Tyres start to spin, and the car cuts the power; it's annoying when you were in control.

I'd take a guess there's nothing wrong with the ESP. That's how it's supposed to react.

I agree, it feels strange when it takes over - but better than spinning tyres or ending up in a wall.
You can turn it off, but.........don't!!!

As Quackers said - Maybe the the remap has exasperated the issue? In which case you've gained some extra bhp/torque for your
money :)

I turn it off when I'm happy to let the wheels spin. - For example I can get out in front of traffic if I accept there's going to be wheel slip, but if the ESP cuts in I'm suddenly that idiot who pulls out and does 10mph.

The trick is not to plant you right foot; feed the power in gently and the ESP has no reason to get upset and cut the power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom