RAC/AA or another

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.farmer

Car
the only car is a Merc
Have been with the RAC ever since i had to get a competition licence way back in the 60s, my RAC cover is up for renewal next month and am wondering if i should change as i have become very disillusioned with them, i would like to know, if possible, any recommendations and experiences members might have had.

Personally with all these high tec cars I dont really think theres much that can be fixed by the road side. All you really need is a recovery service these days.

I have never had a real problem with the AA. We first joined with RAC over seven or eight years ago and they 'told us off' because we used them too many times, they even tried to charge us more. We have a lot of cars in our family and at the time we drove a lot of bangers...So my dad got the hunp with them and so we use AA now.

Although i cant remember the last time they managed to sort anything out on the roadside, they do take you wherever you want to go with no argument... I recommend them...

I have been with the AA for 12 years after having to join them whilst broken down on the M6 with a broken fanbelt on a Shogun.

I have since used them for a faulty fuel relay on a BMW and broken cambelt on a Discovery. Always had excellent, quick service from them.

I'm with the RAC and have had to use them twice in the last 12 months. Bizarrly, both occassions were at the same place with the same problem and the same guy turned up. He fixed the car. Friendly efficient service.

I recently got a Signature warranty which includes RAC cover so my existing cover gets suspended for 12 months.

Rob: why are you disillusioned with them?

My AA cover is due to expire in a few days; they want £145 from me. That’s for a Relay 200 family cover – two adults and two others under 21. I’ve looked on into the RAC who will do the same for £99 so I’m tempted to go with them despite having seen their dodgy tactics on Watchdog.

I have been with the AA for 5 years. Used them once when my old Maestro diesel van broke down. The guy was not interested what the problem was, said it was either diesel pump, injection pump or glow plugs. He just wanted to tow me some where, any where, I think he was in a rush, opted for the tow home, fixed it myself, knackered diesel injection pump. (what an absolute swine to change) I agree with Paul, not much can be fixed at the roadside now, the days of temporary / get me home repairs are hidden inside of the ecu. Just my opinion.

Disillusioned because 3 times in the last 5 years i have called them out and they have taken ages to come, once i called at 10.30am and they arrived at 4.30pm,i said don't start engine, just take it to garage and the first thing he did was to start engine and rev the guts out of it, then said better switch it off does't sound good, his towing leaved a lot to be desired, but then i just may have been unlucky, iv'e just been hearing some not so good things about them and wondered if its time to change and if so to who. As you say, its really only recovery that we need these days.

I think the AA are more resourcefull than you think, even with modern cars.

AA get my vote.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I think the AA are more resourcefull than you think, even with modern cars.

AA get my vote.
Yeah but manual gearboxes alway were easier to fix by the roadside :D :D .

:p :p :p :p

Originally posted by Paul
Yeah but manual gearboxes alway were easier to fix by the roadside :D :D .

:p :p :p :p

It was the time the circlip fell off the linkage on the gearstick on my 120K mile BMW I had in mind!

Also my brother had an intermitant start problem on the last of the Ford XR2i's. Garages could not diagnose and once when stuck it was the AA man, who instantly diagnosed a loose/bad connection on a connector block to the ECU.

Same symptons with a fuel pump relay fault on a Renault 19 - again correctly diagnosed by the AA man.

Not only do they get you going quick - they save you garage bills too!

The R.A.C. were called out to my 190 which would not run. The engine started and seemed to run on two or three cylinders. The man suggested changing the fuel pump. I did that, twice at great cost. Called out again as the same problem was still apparent. This time he suggested changing the coil, distributor cap and ignition leads. Told him I had already done that and the TZR unit as well. Ok so try the fuel filter. A £28 filter bought and fitted. Same problem. By now the R.A.C. told me that my call out credit with them was dieing. I had just one more free call out and after that I would be charged £50, in advance, for any call out. In Desparation drove the car to Speeds of Blackpool, 8 miles down the road, it took 40 mins so you can tell the car was not quite Mercedes tuned! 15 mins later and a bottle of injector cleaner the car was purring for England. Phone R.A.C. to complain and to cut a long discussion short got ONE extra call out free. And people wonder why I drive round with loads of spares and workshop manuals!!!!:mad::mad: :mad:

You guys are so lucky to have the luxury of choice and it is soooooooo cheap!!! Nothing like it exists here and one call out would be double your yearly subscription.

Bob

So start a club then. That's how the AA and RAC started.

I have cover through the Lloyds Bank. Check as the some bank accounts offer it free, though sometimes you have to pay a suppliment for certain services.
Here's the link
AA Lloyds Bank

Cheers
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom