RAC Autowindscreens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shude said:
how has this thread managed to spend SO LONG in the wrong section? :)

Moving to bodywork...
Must have been posted in our younger care free days :p

Good luck with the windscreen repair G.!! I had to laugh though...

Wheelie said:
Arhhhh...got a crack the size of an elephants **** across my screen and not looking forward to getting it replaced now!!!
Followed by...
GrahamC230K said:
I have a large crack that is splintering in my line of sight, which needs seeing to. That with the other 3 chips in the screen I think it will be a replacement job.

Elephant.co.uk use RAC Auto Windscreens, fingers crossed!

Do you suppose that Elephant.co.uk only deal with cracks that are the size of an elephant's ****??? :D :p

S.

Last edited:
GrahamC230K said:
I have a large crack that is splintering in my line of sight, which needs seeing to. That with the other 3 chips in the screen I think it will be a replacement job.

Elephant.co.uk use RAC Auto Windscreens, fingers crossed!
I'm with Admiral (same holding company as Elephant?)

I've had two new screens now on the e Class, both done by RAC Auto Windscreens (rain sensor)

You have nothing to worry about mate. Both done superbly, great job both times.

I think it all depends on the fitter - some good some really really bad.

My advice, watch him, like a hawk and dont take your eyes off the install for a minute.

I will be watching for sure.

Thay are planning on doing a repair on Saturday. As it happens I can leave the car in the garage until then, so will no movement and hopefully not too much of a temperature change it will stay intact until then.

When my windscreen was first replaced whilst I was having some warranty work done to front of roof, the fitter took all the "A" pillar trim off, braking the clips etc.

Then 2 weeks later I had a stone fly up whilst on M25, the RAC windscreen place in Epsom Surrey did nothing but sl@g off the previous fitters work, especially his use of the mastic gun whilst refitting the 2nd new screen.

So I suppose it is just pot luck as to whether the fitter got a leg over the night before or NOT :p .

GrahamC230K said:
Baboon is the description I would use for all Auto Glass fitters I have met too.

Discouraging really, I am not sure if you can do the £50 excess thing and have MB do the job for you :(

Sad thing is if you ask MB to do it they charge you £95 per hour to do it, and then bring in the baboon through the back door coz as bad as he is he's still better than the MB guys :(

I had my windscreen replaced this week and it is flawed ( its got condensation in it) :( I have to take it back to the RAC next week...
Im not happy about it, as the dumb f*cker jammed my roof trying to replace it. Not bad going concidering that you only need to put the roof on and press a button. pointed out what he did and made them add it to my damage report when I signed for the car

:mad:

GrahamC230K said:
I will be watching for sure.

Thay are planning on doing a repair on Saturday. As it happens I can leave the car in the garage until then, so will no movement and hopefully not too much of a temperature change it will stay intact until then.

It will always stay intact due to be a laminate of two sheets of glass and a plastic layer.
It cant cave in even if cracked all the way across.

Paul said:
When my windscreen was first replaced whilst I was having some warranty work done to front of roof, the fitter took all the "A" pillar trim off, braking the clips etc.

I had to take mine back to Autoglass due to a problem with the A pillar trim. It was loose and took the fitter *half an hour* to fix back on properly.

Funnily enough, he blamed another fitter too ... :rolleyes:

Don't have a Clue

I had my windscreen replaced by what I could only describe as celebrity double of footballer Stuart Pearce and that Fat Gay bloke from Airline or Airport. This must have been a joke as they asked me how to remove the panels from the left and right of the window.

These so called professionals should have the skills before comming to the job and confessing this is the first time they've worked on a Mercedes. Not just my model but any Mercedes.

A teenager arrived and had done a crap repair. He said "it might break when I do this". I asked if that happened, how quick could he get a new windscreen - "err next week" was his reply.

It is better, I have no confidence in it passing an MOT, but if it stops it cracking for now it'll do.

I have a very low opinion of RAC Autowindscreens, I have just had mine replaced and it took them four attempts to actually do the job. They didn't show for the first two appointments, for the third appointment they ordered the wrong screen (at least they didnt remove the old one before noticing!)

I made a complaint to their customer services people, and they were going to ring back to discuss the issue. One week later, as yet no phone calls.

Having said that the guy who did the job seemed to be reasonably competent, as yet no leaks and the sensors all work correctly. however, I would watch them carry out the job like a hawk to be sure.

RAC / Vs MB :mad:

I had a couple of nasty chips in my windscreen so I decided to get it fixed a few weeks back. I got the RAC to order me a proper windscreen and they arranged for the car to come in to them so that they had somewhere to work inside. They changed the windscreen in a professional manner, although one of them managed to get the roof jammed putting it back on afterwards but otherwise a clean job.

I noticed that the new windscreen was collecting water inside it! So I phoned RAC and explained the problem and the said don't worry it's under warranty we will order you a new one :) However MB have insisted that they do the work on this one cause its MB warranty not ours... now the fun starts :mad: car goes in yesterday
Q where’s my courtesy car ?
A Aint got one! they book out weeks in advance! where you going we will order you a cab...
Fine but I want the car returned to me if you don't mind

I then get a phone call last night, "The cars done, How will you be paying ??"
A Im not! Its the RAC that told me you needed to do this work so I guess the bill is either yours because the screen was faulty or RAC because its their waranty :mad: anyway when you delivering it ??? A) Cant till its paid for !!

Spent most of the today faffing about between RAC trying to figure out who needs to cough up the cash. (they are very good about this and go off to give MB a good kicking on my behalf.) MB relent realising that they should never have done the work and therefore they will pay. But I cant have my car delivered now as the is no one to drive it :mad: but I can have another cab to collect it ...

When I get there my SL is parked up next to the dustbins and covered in Bird Sh1te :devil: :devil: now I’m getting very fed up!!!!

I ask the chap behind the desk if he would not mind getting the car in a presentable state. and he obliges while I go and look round at the showroom.

when I finally inspect my car the VIN number is torn to shreds and is missing a corner, through which I can now see the foam of the dashboard underneath

If you hear of any MB chaps being thrown off the clifton bridge you will now know the run up to it all

Best of all one of their salesmen has just booked me a new SL500 for a week to see if I wanted to change up next year :( not sure I want to bother now, if it means a relationship with a Main Dealer like this :(

Thanks MB

Last edited:
peterchurch said:
If you hear of any MB chaps being thrown off the clifton bridge you will now know the run up to it all
I'm sorry Peter but your story managed to raise a smile at this end! Reading that lot had me imagining the Chuckle Brothers or Laurel and Hardy taking care of your windscreen problems! :rolleyes:

My windscreen has been chipped for about 6 months or so now, not bothered to do anything about it as it's not in line of sight and it's quite small. I suppose I'd like a new screen if the crack spreads a bit but I'd need to find out who would actually be carrying out the replacement!

Mine has a chip (which was repaired, to stop it spreading) about 18 months ago. No problem. I did not want the original windscreen taken out and replaced precisely because I did not like the idea of amateurs getting it wrong.

Shude said:
My windscreen has been chipped for about 6 months or so now, not bothered to do anything about it as it's not in line of sight and it's quite small. I suppose I'd like a new screen if the crack spreads a bit but I'd need to find out who would actually be carrying out the replacement!

Shude said:
I suppose I'd like a new screen if the crack spreads a bit but I'd need to find out who would actually be carrying out the replacement!

It is funny when you think about it :) Im just glad they don't do any real work on my car :D

I would suggest that you use RAC, as although they may have half the cast of the muppet show working for them in various places around the country. At least you know that if it's wrong, you can get them to do the job as many times as it takes under their warranty...

As for the Mob that MB have used...

Stan and Ollie would have done a better job I think :D I have taken a picture of the VIN and attached it to an email

Hi,

I have spoken to Duncan regarding this. But I thought I would drop you a photo of the VIN badge that is now on my car since the windscreen was replaced. Would you please explain to me how you feel that this meets the high quality offered by Mercedes Benz Technical Support? On another point of quality, when I came to collect the car this afternoon, I was not at all impressed to find it parked up next to the dustbins covered in bird droppings. Neither had the car been washed following the works completion.

The VIN plate is clearly not satisfactory as it would now appear to future owners that it has been tampered with, perhaps to hide its Identity.

I would appreciate an explanation as to how this was missed when the car was inspected following the works completion, and a plan of action for correcting the mistake.

Regards,

Peter Church

The Ironic thing is that MB should have given the screen to the RAC who would have refitted it properly :rolleyes: Instead they had the cheapest mob on the block in behind my back :mad:

When I had a windscreen replaced in my last W202, I took matters into my own hands. I telephoned a very reputable, local windscreen/glass company (Old School Windscreens - Chertsey link )

The lady who answered the call offered me the option of a mobile service or collect and return, A genuine MB screen or one of their own sourced parts (MB of course was the answer!), and took care of all the insurance side of things.

The new screen was ordered from my local dealership. I had given the windscreen people the VIN number to ensure a perfect match/compatibility.

I was called as soon as the part was available (the next day), and made an appointment to suit me for fitting (a saturday morning!)

Two professional fitters arrived in a smart, clean van with all the necessary tools etc. I made them a cup of coffee, and watched them remove the old screen (hoping that they might be as careful as possible!). They managed to not break anything (eg clips etc) and removed all the trims, wiper assembly etc properly.

Anyway, they got on with the job, and fitted the new MB screen. They went around afterwards and hoovered up any dirt/dust, and cleaned the glass etc

Had to leave it for several hours (I left it for over a day!) and the result was a perfect job. Honestly, in my critical eyes, I couldn't tell that they had been (got to be a good result!).

So, the point of the story - I am sure that most insurers (like mine) will allow you to use other companies than RAC/Autoglass etc. I feel that a local, established firm relies on their reputation, and is more likely to do a good job than one of the big companies, who probably have to get xxx amount fitted in xxx amount of time etc.

I was very happy to have not suffered any headache and hassle from having to have remedial work done (which can't be a good thing!)

So don't just ring your insurer, and take whoever they would prefer you to use, choose a company that you are happy with who are willing to do insurance work (I am sure most will ;) )

HTH,

Cheers,

Will

Wheelie said:
Does that Ernest drive a C class??? Does anyone know what is involved in changing a C class screen???
i can change your c class winscreen in about an hour and a half, it invovles removing all windscreen trims,wiper. and wiper motor, then cutting out the glass, then priming glass and bodywork and rebonding, i know this cos i am a windscreen fitter with 20 years experience,hopethis answers your question mate?

Last edited:
mbglassfitter20 said:
i can change your c class winscreen in about an hour and a half, it invovles removing all windscreen trims,wiper. and wiper motor, then cutting out the glass, then priming glass and bodywork and rebonding, i know this cos i am a windscreen fitter with 20 years experience,hopethis answers your question mate?

Ah, but does a time like that include removing the A pillar trims and not slashing the dash, trims or VIN plate? :crazy:

Dieselman said:
Ah, but does a time like that include removing the A pillar trims and not slashing the dash, trims or VIN plate? :crazy:
yes, i have never slashed dash or damaged a vin plate or damaged a trim in 20 years of fitting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, how about u ??? :D

mbglassfitter20 said:
yes, i have never slashed dash or damaged a vin plate or damaged a trim in 20 years of fitting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, how about u ??? :D

I don't fit screens so NO.

Plenty of subscribers have had damage to A pillar trims and dealers and independants admit to this happening.

Nobody its saying you aren't good at your job, but you are probably more concientious than most fitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom