RAC Autowindscreens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SilverSaloon said:
i thought that the newer one looks darker.... but it could all be down to the camera shot....

cant really say unless seen in the "flesh"
I agree - but I can't see how you can compare them side by side if the screen has already been changed! :p

Sorry - I know what you mean :D :rolleyes:

Will

yoe said:
look what happend to my windscreen. see there is no more merc logo. :devil:

I agree that there is no logo, but seeing as 99% of all genuine glass is made by either Pilkingtons or Saint Gobain (SEKURIT) there is no difference in quality and the tint SHOULD be the same as long as it is the same colour. All screens are made to the same standard. I have never noticed any significant colour difference in my couple of years fitting, certainly not with Pilks glass.

Saying that, there is not much problem in Autowindscreens getting you a genuine glass, we do it all the time up here (best not say where - yep, I work for them) as the top of the range version with all the tints and sensors only cost us £146. Probably a little bit less than you can get them for over the counter. Having said that, RACAW own branded glass made in our own factory prob costs no more than £50 :eek:

Had a large crack in my two month old CLk and when I was living in the Dundee area had Autoglass fit a new screen. were clued up about the blue tint and Auto wiper sensors. When I arrived and hand my toy yo the man there I was pleasently surprised that when I returned I could not find any evidence at all that the screen had been changed the car was immaculate and the new screen look like the original fitment. Once again a guy in his mid forties, did and excellent job. go back any time, pity I live in Ashford now

D I Y

Oh my god do you know what you sound like? I have been a fitter for RAC Autowindscreens for 8 years and I must say in my experience Mercedes drivers are the most difficult group of people I have ever come across!Why do you think you are so much more important than any other driver on the road? Why do you want everything done yesterday? Because "I drive a mercedes?"
Fitting a windscreen or door glass to your precious car is a highly skilled and technically demanding job, and it does'nt always go right 1st time (as some of you are well aware!) If it does go wrong you are covered! In most cases the branch will endeavour to source the parts needed or do the job again, for you, FREE! If you want it done so perfectly then do it yourselves and give us fitters a break from your moaning. See how far you get before you damage your own car. Also if you take your car to a dealership they just get us or autoglass to come to them and do it, then pump up the price.
As the old saying goes, 'if you want something doing properly then do it yourself'
Please do, go on, give it a go!:mad:

You signed up just to revive a thread from last year and say that ?

When someone spends a lot of money on a car and has a lot of pride in it they expect someone contracted to work on it to show a similar level of pride in their work.
The acceptable standard on my SL is somewhat above what I expect on my work Astra, and I am aware the SL is harder to do therefore requires more knowledge and more care. The average screen fitter also is also more likely to see an Astra than an SL and therefore will have more experience with the Vauxhall. My Astra is a tool to earn a living that will be gone in a year - my SL is so much more as far as I am concerned so I DO care passionately what you do to it

Obviously some screen fitters dont have the required level of pride and professionalism, so people have a right to moan if they encounter sub standard service.
If your attitude is "So what if we break it - you are covered" then I personally dont want to know!

Just in case you read this before someone bins it :p

Oh my god do you know what you sound like? I have been a fitter for RAC Autowindscreens for 8 years and I must say in my experience Mercedes drivers are the most difficult group of people I have ever come across!Why do you think you are so much more important than any other driver on the road? Why do you want everything done yesterday? Because "I drive a mercedes?"
Fitting a windscreen or door glass to your precious car is a highly skilled and technically demanding job, and it does'nt always go right 1st time (as some of you are well aware!) If it does go wrong you are covered! In most cases the branch will endeavour to source the parts needed or do the job again, for you, FREE! If you want it done so perfectly then do it yourselves and give us fitters a break from your moaning. See how far you get before you damage your own car. Also if you take your car to a dealership they just get us or autoglass to come to them and do it, then pump up the price.
As the old saying goes, 'if you want something doing properly then do it yourself'
Please do, go on, give it a go!:mad:

With comments like that I wouldn't even want you near my Mondeo!

You signed up just to revive a thread from last year and say that ?

Three years old in fact :p.

Obviously some screen fitters dont have the required level of pride and professionalism, so people have a right to moan if they encounter sub standard service.
If your attitude is "So what if we break it - you are covered" then I personally dont want to know!

Quite right and surely it's a free country where car owners are allowed to share personal experiences and comment on them? Any business that wants to suppress that open debate or feels it should insult its potential customers is one that won't get my money.

With comments like that I wouldn't even want you near my Mondeo!

In truth, most sensible people would not want to go near a Mondano anyway :devil: :p ;).

'So what if we break it'? I didnt say that did I? IF something goes wrong, which it could do, then you are covered. I do actually take pride in my work, especially with something involved like a Mercedes, and I dont mind doing them, although sometimes I do wish I could refuse to because of Mercedes drivers' over inflated sense of self importance. I do agree that more care should be, and does get taken when fitting glass to any prestige vehicle, but to be honest, most mercs are hardly treated as prestige are they?
So why is it ok to scratch or damage your Astra or Mondeo? Because its not a Mercedes? Alot more people have Astras and Mondeos than have mercs, doesnt it matter if their cars get damaged? Well I suppose they're not Mercedes owners are they, they deserve what they get!
Delusions of granduer anyone?

I invite you to come and look at the job that was done and never rectified by RAC auto windscreens despite months of phone calls and letters.

If after viewing the work done you still think I have nothing to complain about then fine... in the meantime, I stand by my original post.

BTW, the thread is 6 years old. I think RAC auto windscreens have had plenty of time to rectify their handy work by now.

Did I say RAC Auto Windscreens? :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1425984/Bosses-fired-over-windscreen-fraud.html

Last edited:
' So why is it ok to scratch or damage your Astra or Mondeo? Because its not a Mercedes? Alot more people have Astras and Mondeos than have mercs, doesnt it matter if their cars get damaged? Well I suppose they're not Mercedes owners are they, they deserve what they get!
Delusions of granduer anyone?

Which bit didn't you understand exactly ?

I do care about my Astra - but I dont "worry" about as it's a tool to do a job just like my laptop, after a year it will be worth X amount when I move it on and a slightly damaged trim wont make much difference when its traded with more than its fair share of stonechips

My SL is a car I had always promised myself since I first saw one in the flesh in 1990, I worked hard and saved what was to me a lot of money (£20k) and bought myself my weekend toy.
So I really do care what happens to it if one of your associates with less pride in his work decides I'm just another stuck up Mercedes owner with delusions of grandeur!

I just thought i'd have my say and stick up for honest windscreen fitters.
So in your every day jobs do you do everything perfect? every day? If you say yes then you are a liar, yet this is what is expected of me, do every job right, first time, EVERY TIME! For the most part this is the case but sometimes things do go wrong, and god help us if it is a Mercedes driver!
Just think next time, how many jobs are done perfectly without a word of thanks, and how hard you lot come down on people when something as small as a bent piece of METAL spoils your otherwise perfect day. Will you all write about when you had a screen done and it was all fine? No.
They are cars, not objects of desire.
I'll let you go back to kissing each others paintwork. X X X X X

Yawn , go away ...

So in your every day jobs do you do everything perfect? every day? If you say yes then you are a liar, yet this is what is expected of me, do every job right, first time, EVERY TIME! For the most part this is the case but sometimes things do go wrong, and god help us if it is a Mercedes driver!
Just think next time, how many jobs are done perfectly without a word of thanks, and how hard you lot come down on people when something as small as a bent piece of METAL spoils your otherwise perfect day. Will you all write about when you had a screen done and it was all fine? No.

I assume you don't own a car :confused:

Yes things may not be perfect first time everytime. That's what customer service is about, the true measure of customer service is how you are treated when things don't go right.

Whatever the car - be it our Astra or the Merc sub-standard workmanship is not acceptable and just as I am expected to correct problems at work I expect those working on my cars to do the same and ensure the work is done to a high standard.

Will you all write about when you had a screen done and it was all fine? No.

You clearly show your ignorance here.

This is a post of mine from this thread (admittedly from four years ago..)

Link

Ok, maybe some of the details may have changed now (eg many insurers have now tightened up regarding which firms can be used?), but I know for a fact that the company I used are still going strong.

They have EARNED a very good reputation through doing quality work properly, not through relying on cheap contract work to huge insurance companies where you don't get a choice of supplier.

I am sorry, but you have a bad attitude to your work. Everyone is entitled to expect a proper job each time - if you've had a bad day and make a mistake, the rectification work should be A1.

In reality, I am sure through proper training, experience and due care, the amount of ****ups could be far lower than we are seeing. Maybe this is a fault that should be shouldered by your management as much as yourselves - I imagine you are expected to work to fairly strict timescales?

Will

I had a toyota corolla T3 which was a 53 reg..had a crack in the windscreen..took it to RAC windscreens..I thought they did a good job till a few days later..heavy rattling in engine area..opened up and saw that the fitter had not put back the clips and basically a few had dropped into engine bay and rest lost by the wind..toyota dealer was not happy bec if the clips had hit the belts..or shreded the belts, i would be looking at an expensive bill..took it back to RAC..and did not bother to shout at the **** responsible..went straight to the manager in charge and showed his workers handywork..He apologised and immediately rectified the problem..ordered new parts, and got the job done byanother experienced staff..
Everywhere I find there to be experienced and skilled employee and complete *****..I say **** bec the manager did confront him and he just went, crappy corolla ..it probably fell off by itself and later basically i had removed the clips ..END result, i threathened formal legal action on allegations made to myself..well the **** is no more there and good for any other car owners experiencing this sort of behaviour by an employee..the other fitter who got it done knew his stuff and did an excellent job..

ps,
to help you and help us, and to stop anymore "i hav'nt got the tiny merc badge on my glass" if you have a dealer part glass in your car and you want a dealer part put back in YOU MUST SPECIFY THIS WHEN BOOKING IN. if you do this we (aw) have to get one. at the end of the day its your car and we should fit like for like but unless asked they're not going to go and order the most expensive glass are they? and they fit better so less chance of comeback

ps,
to help you and help us, and to stop anymore "i hav'nt got the tiny merc badge on my glass" if you have a dealer part glass in your car and you want a dealer part put back in YOU MUST SPECIFY THIS WHEN BOOKING IN. if you do this we (aw) have to get one. at the end of the day its your car and we should fit like for like but unless asked they're not going to go and order the most expensive glass are they? and they fit better so less chance of comeback

I don't mean to sound patronising, but this isn't just a ps, it's by far your best post and more in the 'spirit' of the fourm - to help us as customers (and not just as MB customers!) get what we want and reasonably expect from a professional service.

Do you have any other useful tips? e.g, would you recommend that for the best job the windscreen should be replaced at the AW workshop rather than rely on the mobile service?

Having read this thread with quite a lot of interest I thought I would add my viewpoint.

There is much talk of the dealers just hiking up the price. Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure they would if they could. But, when I had mine done, it cost me the 60 quid excess as normal. No more or less than any of the mobile fitters would charge me. But the main benefit is that if things go wrong, which I accept they sometimes will, it is then the problem of the Service Manager. AND... I keep the coutersy car until it's sorted out to my full satisfaction.

I had a poor experience with a fitter a couple of years ago when the screen in my Ferrari appeared to have a defect in it. This was a new windscreen that I had insisted upon when buying the car. It was a linear distortion defect right on the eye line for me. Anyway, Ferrari dealer sends out the fitter who tried to tell me I was mad, a similar story to the "You're being too fussy just 'cos it's a Ferrari" line (substitute Ferrari for Mercedes). I simply sent him away and drove to the dealer insisting they call the bracnh manager out immediately to inspect the defective screen his muppet had passed as being OK. Job done. New screeen with a time served (in his 40's) fitter. No spotty oiks near the car at all.

Now let's get one thing straight. Company cars aside, ANY car is the owner's investment of their hard earned cash. Mine just happened to be a weekend toy but even the most humble Vauxhall Corsa is worthy of the highest level of materials and workmanship. I would expect nothing less than factory approved (not necessarily factory supplied though) glass and adhesives etc. I also expect the bloke fitting it to do the job right. And if I have any doubts I will stand there and supervise. If the fitter doesn't like it then he is free to decline the job and I will cheerfully go somewhere else.

One last thing, we had to replace the screen in my wife's S Type last year. The insurance approved people tried insisting I pay up front with a credit card for the excess. I declined and told them I would pay in cash when I was satisfied with the job. They initially refused to book me in but one call to the insurance company soon sorted that load of nonsense. ;)

Good people of this country, COMPLAIN and be firm. Do not settle for "That'll do". You are entitled to proper service and if you don't get it, go elsewhere. There are far too many half a job Harry's out there who richly deserve a P45, and there are a decent amount of good guys as well. You just need to seek them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom