Race my Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garethh

Car
98 CLK 320 C200 Sport Estate
Apart from nurb ring, is there any where in the UK that you can take your own car round a race track. I went to Benz World at the weekend, but would rather try my own car out.
Thanks
Gareth

Budget for a new set of tyres and a brake system rebuild while you are at it if you really want to push your car. A fire extinguisher is a good accessory to have on hand also.;)

oulton park in cheshire . track days

You'll need good brake fluid, eg castrol super response dot 4 or dot 5.1. Good set of brake pads and good tyres.

Helmet essential. Race suit not usually required although they often insist on arms and legs being covered.

Just one thing but did you mean race? Or being let loose on a track? These are two completely different things!

Autocar magazine do track days/evenings, where you get a little tuition a chin wag with some of the staffers, and sometimes take something a bit spicey along. Not been to one but keep meaning too.

I'm too chicken to use my own car on track - well that coupled with the fact that tyres, brakes and suspension are quite pricey for my car - so I'm looking for a suitable car for some hot track action!! :D

If you want to race your car - ie competivive you'll need to do a lot of mods to the car, even for sprinting where its you against the clock.

If you just want to drive fast on a race track then a track day is the way to go.

An airfield day is what u want (no armco's to hit)
I have been to 2 Bruntingthorpe (SKYLINE) and Elvington (SCOOBY)they were both great.

XSP_9943.jpg

XSP_0125.jpg

GOOD1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm doing another trackday in my skyline at Goodwood in July , i find the airfield days are often spread with gravel and you get your car pebble dashed .

Bit of scaremongering about tyres or brakes either , its not a race just a chance to stretch the legs on your car a bit.

The problem I have with airfields is they tend to suffer from a lot of stones, but they're a bit boring to drive - some of the proper circuits still have plenty of run off areas, but also have some gradients which make it more interesting.

Brands Hatch is the nearest 'proper' circuit to you and its one of the best in the country.

another benefit of doing a circuit trackday is you often have the option of professional instruction , at Goodwood i had Antony Reid the ex BTCC driver on one session . Of course the cost is higher

XSP_6841.jpg

XSP_6836-1.jpg

bedford autodrome has big run offs and was designed very much with novice drivers in mind tutorials ect were/are available too.

ive been there with bob my tomcat and it was a hoot, car survived well too considering the beating it got

edit bob needed a set of pads after though and showed up dire brakes which were soon swapped for bigger discs
DSC00409.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom