Race start e63 w212 65 reg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattymc

Car
Mercedes Benz saloon E63 AMG 65 reg
hi guys. Bought an e63 65 reg yesterday, was wondering what the rs symbol was so searched on computer and obviously came up race start. I’ve tried everything to get it to work to no avail.

Oil temp at 100 or over

Stamp on brake

Scroll over to rs for it to illuminate.

It just doesn’t illuminate and stays in manual mode.

Any ideas??

Here you go, taken from a W212 manual I saved somewhere, though to be honest you're better off without it to save wear and tear on both the car and yourself...

List of conditions to be met: -

You can activate RACE START if:

The doors are closed.
The engine is running and it has reached an operating temperature of approximately 80 C.
SPORT handling mode is activated.
The steering wheel is in the straight-ahead position.
The vehicle is stationary and the brake pedal is depressed (left foot).
The transmission is in position D.

How to activate: -

Depress the brake pedal with your left foot and keep it depressed.
Turn the drive program selector clockwise until the RS lamp lights up.
The RACE START Confirm: Paddle UP Cancel: Paddle DOWN message appears in the multifunction display.
If the activation conditions are no longer fulfilled, RACE START is cancelled. The RACE START Cancelled message appears in the multifunction display.
To cancel: pull the left steering wheel paddle shifter or To confirm: pull the right steering wheel paddle shifter.
The RACE START Available Depress gas pedal message appears in the multifunction display.
If you do not depress the accelerator pedal fully within two seconds, RACE START is cancelled. The RACE START Not Possible See Operator's Manual message appears in the multifunction display.
Fully depress the accelerator pedal. The engine speed rises to approximately 3500RPM.
The RACE START Release brake to start message appears in the multifunction display.
If you do not release the brake pedal within five seconds, RACE START is cancelled. The RACE START Cancelled message appears in the multifunction display.
Take your foot off the brake, but keep the accelerator pedal depressed.
The vehicle pulls away at maximum acceleration.
The RACE START Active message appears in the multifunction display.

As you can see, there are so many conditions to be met and variables to take into account, the kid on the push bike will have beaten you from the line. It's a bit simpler on the new ones but still pretty pointless really, I always found that just using S (not S+) was probably the most effective way to get rolling.

Thanks for that. I’m pretty sure I did all of them things yesterday but will double check later.
I’ll not be doing this all the time, I can imagine how much wear and tear it will be causing. Car is still under warranty anyway so should be good to try it a few times.

Thanks for that. I’m pretty sure I did all of them things yesterday but will double check later.
I’ll not be doing this all the time, I can imagine how much wear and tear it will be causing. Car is still under warranty anyway so should be good to try it a few times.

I've never managed to get it to work either - seems the conditions and operation are very complex so went the same way as Dave above, S mode and accelerator! To be honest this approach probably gives you more control as you will probably spend the first 100 yards wheel spinning and going nowhere with Race Start:D

And by the time you have it all set up, "Granny with the walking frame" has got way ahead of you.

I've never managed to get it to work either - seems the conditions and operation are very complex so went the same way as Dave above, S mode and accelerator! To be honest this approach probably gives you more control as you will probably spend the first 100 yards wheel spinning and going nowhere with Race Start:D

Yeah I think that’s going to be the way. S Mode and floor it.
Tried again today and still no rs mode

It’s confusing to say the least. The sport handling mode that needs to be off is the traction control button next to the knob you’re turning. Press that to turn ESP off then go through the other rigmarole & hey presto!

Yes. Press the button and sport comes up on the dash then you’re ready. Hold the button down & ESP off comes up, this is incorrect. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8dc78f575dda64f245b5b37e361c2b69.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You legend. Thanks for that. Haven’t actually tried the rs yet but got it working after reading your comments. Thanks again

All the best. Just seen you’re in Newcastle- been up there all weekend, just got home.

Hey guys! Sorry for posting on a few months old thread.
I’ve seen that you recently got an w212 E63! Congrats man, around what price was it? I’m thinking of getting one in the next few months but wanted to see if it was worth it, it’s my absolute dream car and I’m thinking of trading in my car for it and borrowing some money to pay for it outright. I found an absolute bargain for one, What do you think???
All the best, Sapperz.

For all those reaching this page because of a lack of success with getting into Race Start mode in a 2015 or later E63 AMG... here is what everyone above has missed - it took me a month of Sundays to work this out:
1. With the engine running and nicely warmed up: Foot on the brake, fairly hard
2. Put the car in D "drive"
3. Press the AMG button
4. Press the ESP button but do not hold it down - the words "sport mode" should appear in orange in the left hand side of the gauge cluster
5. (this was the missing part for me) pull both gear shift paddles towards yourself - at the same time
6. Turn the gear mode selector to RS
BINGO!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom