Race the Sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well gents, No1 son and I will be there this year, running Monday night 20th into Tuesday morning 21st.

We plan to be at Lands End for about 18.00hr on Monday, ready to have a wander, a chat and relax.
Sunset is 21.20hr and we will have just over 7 hours to make the trip, so, an average speed of 65mph will do the job.

We will go; A30, A303, M3, M5 north and A12.
It worked for us in 2018 and hope it will work for us again
Nerdy ish thing to ask, If i get a little bear thing or similar and fetch it south taking its picture thru the window, like significant landmarks, JOG sign inverness Glasgow, the border sort of thing to document the trip south, all moving pictures, no stopping, if we make it would you do the same for leg to Ness point? passing it to you like a baton so to speak. Would you do this? maybe adding a picture or two on the journey, i would give this to my car mad cousin. Events for car guys will be different for him.

We already have a camera guy to take pictures some place on a bridge as we pass, hoping to get three wide on the approach.

Well gents, No1 son and I will be there this year, running Monday night 20th into Tuesday morning 21st.

We plan to be at Lands End for about 18.00hr on Monday, ready to have a wander, a chat and relax.
Sunset is 21.20hr and we will have just over 7 hours to make the trip, so, an average speed of 65mph will do the job.

We will go; A30, A303, M3, M5 north and A12.
It worked for us in 2018 and hope it will work for us again
This bit got me concerned about my timings so i googled

An average of 65 will mean high speed speeding everywhere. ..........
My thoughts as well, to average 65mph for any distance, will mean a lot of speeding but then, I’m not the po-po.

Nerdy ish thing to ask, If i get a little bear thing or similar and fetch it south taking its picture thru the window, like significant landmarks, JOG sign inverness Glasgow, the border sort of thing to document the trip south, all moving pictures, no stopping, if we make it would you do the same for leg to Ness point? passing it to you like a baton so to speak. Would you do this? maybe adding a picture or two on the journey, i would give this to my car mad cousin. Events for car guys will be different for him.

We already have a camera guy to take pictures some place on a bridge as we pass, hoping to get three wide on the approach.

As long as pictures of daylight at lands end, dark on the way and sunrise at ness point are ok, yep.

Things like stonehenge will not be on, too far from the road

An average of 65 will mean high speed speeding everywhere. Back in the days before cameras a few of us when to watch the bike GP at Donnington on our supervised (as we did every year)....we left a bit late and were doing 120 to 140 everywhere. But if you stop for a wee or fuel or even the smallest queue your average tumbles....we averaged 71 mph.

For sure
In 2018, we did the run in my Boxster . . . . A police and boy racer magnet if ever there was one, we did a splash and dash at Andover, didn't exceed 85mph anywhere and finished with 25 mins to spare.
It's all about staying above the road speed limit enough to get along, without attracting attention.

Plus, between 23.00hr and 04.00hr, there is nothing stopping you from just setting cruise at 79mph and the sitting back and watching the world go by.

Sorry if I'm a little slow, but are you leaving John o groats in daylight in the morning and hope to drive to lands end before it gets dark?

Sorry if I'm a little slow, but are you leaving John o groats in daylight in the morning and hope to drive to lands end before it gets dark?
Yes thats the plan, 874 miles 5 cars 1900 BHP 40 cylinders all we have is Visa and a prayer :)

We all made it 15hrs and 18 mins, all well tired but one plucky individual has fueled up to goto ness point!!!!!!
That's amazing, well done

Well done.. Works out an average of 57 mph for the journey!!
Its more, we stopped for 20 mins at Tesco Carlisle to rest and refuel, 20 mins at Stresham for a wizz break and a walk round then 30 mins at Tesco Collumpton for fuel and to get us all together as we had somebody coming to a bridge near Bodmin to take our photos. The Two lads at the front had over an hour at Collupmton.

In total 1689 miles for £593.96 in fuel and an avg of 29.5 avg. overall.
On the Day 839 miles for £261 and 30.3 avg

Plenty of lads at L.E lining up to goto ness point Lotus, Jag,Golf bikes so one of our mob decided to go too. Arrived Ness point 0413am, Now this is pretty good but monday He left Huddersfield to drive north at 4am . Its a first ive heard for a "Round Trip" so Sunrise to Sunrise 1268 miles and the margin 17 minutes. Bonkers.

Sorry to say, our entry to this auspicious event has been withdrawn, sadly.
Kitchen installation for No1 son and spouse takes precedence apparently . . . . . .who knew?

Job should be in snagging now, but, bad walls, hidden horrors and incomplete deliveries have slowed us down

Hey ho, there's always next year

Wonder why no Tesla's etc would try it...
They have. First done successfully in 2015 in a Tesla P85D in just under 19 hrs. Since then, the cars’ range has increased and the charging structure is both better spread and much faster, so the daylight only challenge should be doable.

To be clear, that was the LEJOG not the west/east race the sun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom