Rad fans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterG

Car
1992 300 SL 24V
Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me when the 2 electric fans in front of my radiator should come on? I havent got aircon.
On a recent long congested motorway journey my coolant level indicator came on and the the temp rose to 110 :( When I had a look I could see no obvious sign of a leak and so filled it up with water to get me home.
I could then hear water rushing around behind the console area. the temp dropped down but the engine sounded as though it was a bit rough on idle.
Any ideas view appreciated
Pete

Originally posted by PeterG
Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me when the 2 electric fans in front of my radiator should come on? I havent got aircon.
On a recent long congested motorway journey my coolant level indicator came on and the the temp rose to 110 :( When I had a look I could see no obvious sign of a leak and so filled it up with water to get me home.
I could then hear water rushing around behind the console area. the temp dropped down but the engine sounded as though it was a bit rough on idle.
Any ideas view appreciated
Pete

The fans should come on when the temperature reaches normal, which is about 80.

The water rushing around is caused by air in the system, and should be cured by running the engine with the heater full on for a journey of at least 5 miles. Check the levels afterwards when the engine is cool and top up. Then it should be OK.

The lumpy engine again is the air in the system causing localised overheating.

Thanks Brian
That makes sense
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom