Radar Detector Ban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
did anyone hear the outcome from the bill in parlement?

It was a big story before it went through with virtually nothing after the event was supposed to take place.

may be "old news" but here's the current Road Safety Bill Regulatory Impact Assessment (RIA) they keep moving it on the server so be prepared to search if the url is dead

click

there's even a phone number and email address of somebody you can ring up and harrass :)

HTH

Andy

I heard a brief comment on the radio about two weeks ago that radar detectors are to be banned and the ban could be in place before the end of the year.

Radar and laser detection, but not anything like GPS which knows the location of fixed cameras, apparently - as this is public information.

Could still have massive impact on manufacturers of combined devices if made law though. The detection bits would have to be disabled , not that most of them are any good anyway , as by the time they have alerted you, its generally too late !!

S.

sym said:
Radar and laser detection, but not anything like GPS which knows the location of fixed cameras, apparently - as this is public information.

Could still have massive impact on manufacturers of combined devices if made law though. The detection bits would have to be disabled , not that most of them are any good anyway , as by the time they have alerted you, its generally too late !!

S.

My Radar Accident blackspot detector is great :)

andy_k said:
may be "old news" but here's the current Road Safety Bill Regulatory Impact Assessment (RIA) they keep moving it on the server so be prepared to search if the url is dead

click

there's even a phone number and email address of somebody you can ring up and harrass :)

HTH

Andy

Just read that report . . what a load of drivel. What really truck me about it was how they kept mentioning the cost of the detection systems and the resulting loss in revenue to pay for them when people detect them and avoid fines.

Guess it's time to finally mount my Snooper in the engine bay like it was designed to do. It currently resides on my dash but couldn't be bothered to run the cable and screw in a bracket etc. under the hood.

I wouldn't be surprised if the british police start to use radar detector 'detectors' like they do in France......very heavy fines if you are caught with one!

ps.....i expect there will be a flood of cheap radar detectors for sale as peeps start to unload

fuzzer said:
did anyone hear the outcome from the bill in parlement?

It was a big story before it went through with virtually nothing after the event was supposed to take place.

Here's the BBC follow up to the original story.

Link

Devices that work on GPS are ok, but everything else will get you hung drawn and quartered by 2006

I can't see them caring too much here, so no major worry.

If they do decide to use Interceptor VG2s to catch people using detectors, the so-called stealth modes of many detectors are mostly rubbish and you will be caught eventually.

Also, most of the cops will be sent on a course on how to find the engine bay, bumper and headrest mounted detectors.

scotth_uk said:
I can't see them caring too much here, so no major worry.

If they do decide to use Interceptor VG2s to catch people using detectors, the so-called stealth modes of many detectors are mostly rubbish and you will be caught eventually.

I'm not so sure, from what I've read, the good ones do actually work. VG-2 is'nt targeted at one vehicle, it is just a receiver listening for the signature signal of radar detectors. These signals are so weak that they are very hard to detect. Besides, if you're smart, you wont leave the detctor switched on after you see the cops. They would also have to suspect YOUR car of having a detector.

Also, most of the cops will be sent on a course on how to find the engine bay, bumper and headrest mounted detectors.

:devil: You really think I'm gonna put it somewhere that's easy for them to find? :devil:

But do the Cops acually want this ban?

Most forces publish the locations of their fixed and mobile sites - and I know the Chief Constable around here has a detector in his own car....

:D

unless i'm wrong i thought laser detectors were a waste of time as there are no 'stray rays' once they've picked up a beam youve already been done
also radar isnt used much anymore for reasons above
by the way ive read new c class will have intelligent cruise control to keep you safely behind other drivers and works on, you guessed it radar, so it would have to have to fire a permenant radar out which would really screw up a detector. simular divices are available now and your really in it if caught with one :)

pacemaker said:
also radar isnt used much anymore for reasons above

Yes, but it's very handy to know which cameras actually work!

by the way ive read new c class will have intelligent cruise control to keep you safely behind other drivers and works on, you guessed it radar, so it would have to have to fire a permenant radar out which would really screw up a detector. simular divices are available now and your really in it if caught with one :)

I'd guess that it works on a different band then what they use for speed radar, which itself has 4 or 5 different bands.

I see a big market coming on for the Radar-Detector-Detector Detectors! ;) :p

Will

...the best detector is in my opinion the considerate motorists travelling in the opposite direction flashing their lights at you. I'd also like to see satnav systems alerting you to the accident history of the road you're on so you can be extra careful ie this is an accident "blackspot" - and we all know that fixed camera sites don't always get sited in dangerous places.
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom