Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Below is a link to what a radar detector will pickup :)
The Valentine V1 is described by the manufacturer as a "Radar Locator with Laser Warning". So it's a RADAR and LASER detector, and detects both.

A RADAR detector only detects RADAR.

And GPS "detectors" don't detect anything ;)

Valentine 1 definitely goes off when hit by laser, I know, I got hit by one on M6 Toll on Wednesday afternoon.

Unfortunately with laser there is no time to take evasive action as reading is less than 1 second.

A 'Blinder' can produce false readout on laser apparently ;) but don't get caught with one

Indeed. Laser gives hardly any scatter so a detector will only tell you that you've already been nicked. RADAR is pretty much just used for fixed cameras (e.g. Gatsos) now, which you can easily get a gps-based warning for (via TomTom in my case). Hence I don't really see the point of detectors, which as mentioned will get your car seized in France and many other European countries if spotted by the cops (I think this is a standard check if you are pulled over).

In the good old days when using laser speed guns the cops used to take 3 readings off the car and prosecute on the lowest, so if a laser detector went off on the first hit and you slammed on the brakes you could just about avoid getting nicked. However now it's just one snapshot of the car so as correctly pointed out if a laser detector goes off it's just confirmation you have been nicked if you are above the limit. However there are a multitude of ways of confusing radar some of which have now been tested in court and deemed to be illegal others not tested in court but very effective.

As for Gatso's if you can't see a big luminous box on top of a pole then you need to slow down anyway as you are clearly not concentrating and are not aware of your surroundings so need to improve your observational skills.

A bit OT :)

So just to recap on the radar/ laser detector the question is what is the small amber
light to the left of fuel gauge and no its not an ambient light sensor these are an option and come on with the sidelights not sensors, so guys anymore ideas ?

It aint its a light sorry you are wrong

and they are mate trust me I will lay money on it

sensors are dark in colour almost black not amber and this baby is a light

Ha ha got you thinking now !

Not me, I know what it is.

See anything you recognise...;)

768Mlstotank.jpg

yes and its Amber not a sensor it does not control the mood lighting

It's the ambient light sensor for the dash lamps.

You see it leak a bit of light when the dash lamps are on, but only if looking hard.

I'm out of here. Get a JCB, they dig lovely big holes... :)

Really think you have got ur wires crossed its amber in day light cant you see ?
and if you want to dim ur dash lights there is buttons for that you dont need a sensor for it sorry mate

Funny you should mention JCB as the car that has this was ownde by Mr JCB and bought by him back in 2000

Funny you should mention JCB as the car that has this was ownde by Mr JCB and bought by him back in 2000

Are you sure? JCB used Mercedes as company cars....

...and I think old Cyril has been dead for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom