Radiator cold.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
My bedroom radiator is warm at the bottom and cold at the top. I have used a bleed screw and whilst there was some air emitted, there was no water following it and nothing has changed?

Laymans advice?

Bleed it some more ? until the water comes out.

Some radiators can be slow to bleed. If this is the case then turn all other rads off to force the water along and the air out.

If it bleeds we can kill it?

Thanks R12ts, will give it a go. I think it is the case that the pressure isnt high enough (is in the loft conversion). will go play....

When you have a loft conversion, it is even more important to make sure that your system is balanced. You do this by having the rads closest to the boiler practically off (at the lock shield end) and fully open farthest away from the boiler (loft). The temperature differential between water in and water out of each rad should be about 12degs C. An infra red thermometer is pretty good at helping you do this.

Balancing a system is very important. Most people have their lockshield valves fully open.

If you balance it properly. you will be amazed.

How high is the header tank over the radiator?

Has rad worked ok in the past?

May be a blockage in pipework??

Last edited:
Check your expansion tank, perhaps the ballcock is stuck, but its proberly slow fill. So bleed rad, close bleed valve wait a couple of mins and start process again.
Allways taught that you dont bleed system with pump running, stops possibity of getting air stuck round pump

Balancing a system is very important. Most people have their lockshield valves fully open.

If you balance it properly. you will be amazed.

How do you do this? as my nearest radiator in the cellar is always warm not hot.
Thanks

How do you do this? as my nearest radiator in the cellar is always warm not hot.
Thanks

That could be due to sludge in the system as that radiator is probably at the lowest point...you might find a good flush would do the trick.....power flush would cost about £300 - £400 or you could do what I did, get some Fenrox central heating cleaner and run this through your system for a week and then flush out thoroughly. Don't forget to refill after with a suitable corrosion inhibitor.

That could be due to sludge in the system as that radiator is probably at the lowest point...you might find a good flush would do the trick.....power flush would cost about £300 - £400 or you could do what I did, get some Fenrox central heating cleaner and run this through your system for a week and then flush out thoroughly. Don't forget to refill after with a suitable corrosion inhibitor.

Or remove the rad and flush it with a hose. Then open each tap (into a bucket) to make sure all is clean. Or it could be a little dirt at the lock shield end.

If there was sludge in the rad it would be hot at top and cold at bottom(were the sludge is)

If its a pressured sealed system the vessel sounds like it needs more pressure, buy opening the inlet valve and raising to around 1.5bar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom