radiator fan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rom1

Car
Mercedes c220d cabriolet
I changed my stat temp gauge now reads above just above 80 and keeps temp longer than before. Was averaging
31MPG town now 40MPG
40MPG on a run now 47MPG

Radiator fan kicks in soon as temp gets to 80, not giving it a chance to reach 95 like some people say they can.

Haven't noticed fan kicking in before as it hardly ever got over 60 on the temp gauge, on a long run would reach 80 but never held temp always dropped down to 65-70

Any ideas why fan kicks in so early?

Take into account that between the 80º mark and the 120º mark the one in between is 100º and that you are looking at it from the right, then just above the 80º would be about right. I doubt that the gauge is true and accurate anyway. I'm pretty sure that the stats in diesel engines are set to comence opening at 80º and be fully open at 100º so if the fan is coming on then I would assume that the temperature has reached optimum. Take a look at the gauge from a straight on view, mine reads just a little past the 80º mark. The only other thing to try is replacing the temperature sensor, but it sounds ok to me.

Thank you, going to plug into a obd2 reader to get exact temp reading, by what you described I think it is reading right, much better than before replacing the stat, it barely reached past 60.

as long as temp is rock steady i wouldn't worry about it - mine is rock steady at around 85 and my sons e320 cdi is rock steady at just over the 90 mark - reckon you are in the ball park - an expert will prove me wrong no doubt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom