Radiator fan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt58

Car
2003 E55 sedan
Evening all, I wonder if anyone can advise me, had all the wheels and under shields off my E55 W211 today to have a good look around, found a small amount
of coolant that's b coming from a hose that's been rubbing, it's the hose connected to the underside of the header/expansion tank. I unmounted the tank to get a better look and now the main radiator fan comes on straight away and won't go off until I switch ignition off, can only think the car thinks it's out of coolant when I moved the tank, anyway I can reset the fan? Thanks in advance.

Evening all, I wonder if anyone can advise me, had all the wheels and under shields off my E55 W211 today to have a good look around, found a small amount
of coolant that's b coming from a hose that's been rubbing, it's the hose connected to the underside of the header/expansion tank. I unmounted the tank to get a better look and now the main radiator fan comes on straight away and won't go off until I switch ignition off, can only think the car thinks it's out of coolant when I moved the tank, anyway I can reset the fan? Thanks in advance.
Went down to see if car had sorted itself overnight but fan came on straight away and sounded more like a hovercraft, took of fan connector and cleaned up with a bit of contact cleaner reconnected and now all is well again, wasn't that dirty so don't know if it was the clean up or the disconnect reconnect that did the trick, the latter I would think, what do you guys and girls think?

Ah the old computer trick! Hard to say but as it was working ok before and it is again now unplugging and plugging in again might have somehow reset it. I was going to suggest just disconnecting the main batery for 20 mins or so as I have had some success (but by no means total) with this laymans method with other electronic components. Usually have to reset the windows afterwards and maybe sunroof

I'd be inclined to think that you had ( and still have a short some where in the circuit, even if its OK now ) It's telling the fan that the coolant / engine is getting to hot, and it needs to switch on and do its job. A OBD scan would tell a lot. The thing with bad connections like this is that it may never happen again, or it could become like the plague. A scan is definitely in order...electrical faults always need attention and fixing.

Ah the old computer trick! Hard to say but as it was working ok before and it is again now unplugging and plugging in again might have somehow reset it. I was going to suggest just disconnecting the main batery for 20 mins or so as I have had some success (but by no means total) with this laymans method with other electronic components. Usually have to reset the windows afterwards and maybe sunroof
Thanks Mr G, the old battery trick would have been my next move, although I wasn't looking forward to that as when I changed my main battery a few weeks back the motor turned over but wouldn't start, so I had to click away at some sort of sensor in the rear view mirror and that sorted things. A cracking car but never had these gremlins with my old Morris marina, plenty of rust though.

I'd be inclined to think that you had ( and still have a short some where in the circuit, even if its OK now ) It's telling the fan that the coolant / engine is getting to hot, and it needs to switch on and do its job. A OBD scan would tell a lot. The thing with bad connections like this is that it may never happen again, or it could become like the plague. A scan is definitely in order...electrical faults always need attention and fixing.
Thanks for your reply, and I'll for sure keep an eye on things as I'm now the proud owner of the MB icarsoft. It just seams odd that it's only happened immediately after I'd messed about with the expansion tank.

Thanks Mr G, the old battery trick would have been my next move, although I wasn't looking forward to that as when I changed my main battery a few weeks back the motor turned over but wouldn't start, so I had to click away at some sort of sensor in the rear view mirror and that sorted things. A cracking car but never had these gremlins with my old Morris marina, plenty of rust though.
Do you by any chance know the part number for the main hose from the expansion tank, as mine has had its day and needs to be changed, just as a heads up it's been rubbing against some metal box, sorry about discription but you would know what I meant when your hands in there, I'll fit new hose with some protection around. Is there a place on the forum where I can find part numbers, sorry I'm new.

Thanks for your reply, and I'll for sure keep an eye on things as I'm now the proud owner of the MB icarsoft. It just seams odd that it's only happened immediately after I'd messed about with the expansion tank.
I'd be inclined to agree with you......have a look at the wires feeding the fan, and see if you can track them back into the loom and if they are running anywhere near the header tank.

I'd be inclined to agree with you......have a look at the wires feeding the fan, and see if you can track them back into the loom and if they are running anywhere near the header tank.
Good thinking, I'll have a good look about when I replace hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom