Radiator leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Valps

Car
Mercedes E320 Avantgarde (W210)
I wonder if anyone can throw any light on my rad leak mystery? Driving along when the low coolant light comes on, a quick glimpse at the temperature gauge shows higher than it should. Seconds later on maximum. I do the sensible thing and stop to avoid too much damage. Anyway the breakdown guy arrives and proceeds to put water in the header tank, and it immediately pours out of the bottom of the radiator (near side) from an opening that looks like it may have been a connector - just not on my car, as no hose was adrift. The spirt of water was about 10mm across. Is the radiator common to other models too maybe, that need an additional connection? Mine is an E320 petrol. Any ideas? Thanks.:confused:

Curiouser and curiouser

So I speak to my local Mercedes dealer, describe the difficulty, and he says radiator drain plug. Well, I bought it, and it wasn't the offending item. The plug sits on the bottom of the rad and is red. (I know that now!), but just above the tap, and sticking out horizontally from the rad is an adaptor that looks like it should have a 10mm internal diameter hose attached to it. I've rummaged well and truly in that area, and can find no hose adrift. Does this adapter serve some purpose on other models, and is there some sort of plug I can buy to stop coolant pouring out. I've got it jury rigged with some rad hose with a bolt plugging it held on by 2 jubilee clips at present, but I cannot abide bodging things. Any help ..... please

A hose is normally attached to the protrusion to drain Rad and then you turn the red tap with screwdriver to let the water flow out.

The red tap is then tightened by screwdriver to stop flow, and you would then take hose off after Rad is empty, and to refill again.

It seems as though your tap is faulty.

Put a screwdriver into the slot in red part and turn it clockwise to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom