Radiator overflow elbow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyR

Car
E320 Sportline Coupe - the 'other' car Daimler SP250 (Dart)
Hi,
For no obvious reason the overflow return pipe elbow on the top of my radiator disconnected itself today spraying pressurised water all over the engine.
This is on a '93 e320 straight-6 engine; there appears to be a plastic boss set into the top nearside of the radiator with 2 vertical lugs that hold the pipe fitting in place. The right-angle pipe fitting itself is a push fit into the radiator with a rubber(?) compression ring.
I can't find any mention of this in Haynes or Technibooks workshop manuals. Should the fitting be glued in place or is it just held in by friction as a rather basic pressure safety valve?
Do I need to buy a new fitting or is it integral with the radiator?
thanks,
Andy

Thanks Graeme,
It looks from your diagram as if there ought to be a vertical spring clip on the bottom of the fitting; if so , this is missing on mine and would explain why it blew out. All I need to do now is find out where my spring clip has gone - with my luck it will work its way through the system and jam in the water pump!
I'll chase up a new fitting in the morning.
cheers,
Andy

it's a friction fit, nothing more but if it's blown out I'd get the system checked.

push it back in and if it blows again I'd start suspecting the cylinder head :(

Andy

Thanks Andy,
She's running 190k+ miles but I did recondition the head when I bought her 2-years ago; as she's due for the MOT this month I'll run a compression test when I do the pre-MOT preparation just to be sure.
cheers,
AndyR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom