radiator recore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

can anyone recommend a good place in scotland where i can get a car radiator re-cored?

thanks

derek

Is it an alloy rad or a proper old radiator with brass end tanks?

Reason i ask in most rad places dont recore the newer alloy rads with plastic end tanks as its not worth it.

If its a std rad look at aaron radiators got my condensor from them and will also be getting my new rad as well, £150 puls p+p pretty good i thought, nearly double that on fleabay.

Lynall

Is it an alloy rad or a proper old radiator with brass end tanks?

Reason i ask in most rad places dont recore the newer alloy rads with plastic end tanks as its not worth it.

If its a std rad look at aaron radiators got my condensor from them and will also be getting my new rad as well, £150 puls p+p pretty good i thought, nearly double that on fleabay.

Lynall

its a full metal radiator. merc price is £700.

i'll check out aaron radiators, thanks EDIT: they dont list 107's - but email sent

Last edited:
£700:eek: if its all metal you had better go with your recore plan, i havent had this done for years but used to be dead common on the trucks and donkey engines i used to work on.

Better to find someone local so you can talk to them face to face, dont be put off it the place is a dump as the couple of places i used to use were ****holes:D but they did a good job and never quibbled if there was a problem leak etc.

Serck marston rings a bell, several deopts iirc.

Lynall

Have you tried sourcing a new Behr or Nissens rad - they are both very good and Behr is OEM for a lot of MBs. Ought to be a lot cheaper than £700.
Use distilled water if you live in a hard water area to save it furring up.

hehe, the current radiator is "ok", but there are a few bits where i can see the green antifreeze leaking through. someone has suggested putting a bit of solder or that "metal putty set hard as steel" stuff on the bad areas.

i am not going to use any radweld type thing as the car is a keeper.

at the moment its not very bad - hardly loosing anything but want to fix it now or look at the possibilities of a replacement/fix rad before i get stranded somewhere that i can fit during the winter when the car will be SORN.

I know you don't like the idea of Radweld - neither do I - but I would suggest Bars Leaks. That is an all-round cooing system lubricant/conditioner as well as a sealer in the event of any minor seepages, and it doesn't congeal to seal a leak like Radweld does.

A lot of my old Jaguar mates used to pop a bottle of that into the cooling system as a matter of course when they renewed the coolant. I have had a bottle in my E-Type's system for years, and it's still as clean as a whistle in there...

Just my 2p's worth!

I know you don't like the idea of Radweld - neither do I - but I would suggest Bars Leaks. That is an all-round cooing system lubricant/conditioner as well as a sealer in the event of any minor seepages, and it doesn't congeal to seal a leak like Radweld does.

A lot of my old Jaguar mates used to pop a bottle of that into the cooling system as a matter of course when they renewed the coolant. I have had a bottle in my E-Type's system for years, and it's still as clean as a whistle in there...

Just my 2p's worth!

thanks - i'll check it out. if i decide to try to repair the existing rad with the solder etc i may look into putting that in aswell, but if i am replacing or re-coring i will probably just redo the antifreeze only

I got a BEHR rad from ECP for £95 for the 202, look exactly like the OEM one

very few of these ECP type places cater for 107 chassis.

I got an OEM Hella/Behr radiator from Euro for £252.63 all inclusive for my 500SL last year. I have a trade account but you can normally barter with these guys.

I got an OEM Hella/Behr radiator from Euro for £252.63 all inclusive for my 500SL last year. I have a trade account but you can normally barter with these guys.

they dont seem to list it on their website.... i can find your 500 107 SL one but i cant find one for a 280SL - going either from by reg number or via the 200 series, then selecting 280. it comes up with lots of W123 models but not for 107. i think 123 models are different with different layout to the rad with the cap on the radiator itself??

by "Euro" i assume you mean Euro Car Parts, Cheap Car Parts - Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Car Parts Retailer ??

Last edited:
yep give your local branch a call.. they will get you one.. it will make their lives easier if you can supply the MB part number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom