Radio Ariel + Fuel Gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inkyskin

Hi all,

Among the other little problems I have with my new motor, the two most annoying are:

The fuel guage isn't set right - when it's empty it sits at half a tank, and then if I have a half tank, it shows full, anyone know what might be wrong there? (When the ignition is off the needle does drop down completely though)

Secondly, the ariel doesnt seem to go up or down when the car is turned on/off. I do hear a motor winding when I turn the key half way to turn the electrics on, which might be the ariel motor, but not sure...

Put some injector cleaner in the tank and that may clean up the float rheostat,, it works on most 202's.

Re the aerial have someone pull it up as you turn on the redio,, do not oil, do not use WD40 they should be dry or white grease at the most,, if the rods are kinked then replace the rod section

The antenna mast needs replacing. Very common problem on pre facelift W202's, a genuine Hirschmann 11 replacement mast can be bought for around £20 from the main dealers. It takes just a few minutes to install and theres even a how to guide on it by Pluggers.

Thats good then, I was dreading paying a fortune if televisions method doesn't work

Good ;) I have already been warned against using Merc dealers for services - apparently they can be quite costly ;)

Well I was playing around with the dash today, and when I removed the centre section I saw how badly installed the radio was - the ariel wasn't even connected! I connected it all together and the ariel now works! :D

It's quite noisy though, is that normal?

Guess you never listioned to the radio then to find out poor reception :D

Well I was playing around with the dash today, and when I removed the centre section I saw how badly installed the radio was - the ariel wasn't even connected! I connected it all together and the ariel now works! :D

It's quite noisy though, is that normal?

When you say noisy, do you mean hissing on a stereo station

I think hes reffering to the electric antenna mechanism which can be heard on start up and turn off of the radio.

There are two fuel gauge senders, one will be stuck in full mode.

If TV's method doesn't work you will need to remove them and check.

Sorry guys, I meant the mechanism is noisy ;)

Thanks Dieselman, the guage has yet to sort itself, so it may well need further investigation. Is that an easy job to do, or would I be better off getting a garage to look at that?

Hmm, looks a bit beyond what I feel comfortable tackling - looks like I'll have to pay someone to look at it :( Hey, at least it should work after!

Hmm, looks a bit beyond what I feel comfortable tackling - looks like I'll have to pay someone to look at it :( Hey, at least it should work after!

There is an access plate under the rear seat, but its not for everyone to do all of these things. When I watched the skilled guys at Ollies meet, that was something to see, the clean exact nice tidy work, and yours is not that expensive to do

Cool, when you say not that expensive, do you have any idea what it might cost me?

Cool, when you say not that expensive, do you have any idea what it might cost me?

I cant see it being anymore than ½ hour plus the float, now you know whats what its all about, that gives you bargaining.. I would ring a few as you know what the fault is and ask "how much please for a new float in a 202)

The tank senders are accessed from under the car.
Before condemning the sender check the wiring as a short to Gnd will make the sender read full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom