Radio "Credit Card"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark-R

Car
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.0 1968 & Triumph Herald 13/60 Convertible
I just bought a 190E it has the original Blaupunkt radio with a "credit card" type key. When I put the card in I get a message "Card Err" followed by "----" the manual in the glove box says I have the wrong card. This seems unlikely as the car is in original condition, original stereo, fsh, all hand books, all mots etc... Is there anything can be done for it or do I need a new radio, and is it economical to repair it bearing in mind I can by a CD player for under £100 in Halfords?

I used to have one of those. I did find the seating of the card could be temperamental. Make sure it's free of dust can seat the card firmly in the folder.

Sorry to ask, but I presume you have it the right way up?

I tried it with the contacts facing up and down. Not sure which way is correct, but they were sticking out the front when I bought the car, so I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Is your model listed here?

Mine's a London RDM126 with a card. It goes in with the chip up & in first if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I wiped the contacts with a drop of T Cut and it works fine now, Thanks. Anyone know where I can get a cd player compatible with the Blaupunkt Barcelona?

Last edited:
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/ will sell you an auto-changer. you can also buy additional cards from them. you'll also find loads on ebay. any blaupunkt autochanger will work with a CDC enabled HU (look for CDC written on the front of the HU).

Note that auto-changer models CDC-A08 and earlier do not play CD-R's or CD-RW's.

Mark-R said:
I wiped the contacts with a drop of T Cut and it works fine now, Thanks. Anyone know where I can get a cd player compatible with the Blaupunkt Barcelona?

You can get a spare card and program it using your head unit as long as you have one working card.

I have a 10 disc CDC-A08 that is about to go on Ebay, it is complete with 10 disc magazine and wiring loom. It happily plays homemade CD's, so no problem with CDR's. I now have a MP3 Compact drive so the CD changer is not much use to me.

Let me know if you are interested.

I also have a Blaupunkt Paris headunit that is compatible with the CD changer if anybody is looking for a complete setup. The sound quality from the older Blaupunkt units is far superior to the modern stuff.

jimmy said:
I have a 10 disc CDC-A08 that is about to go on Ebay, it is complete with 10 disc magazine and wiring loom. It happily plays homemade CD's, so no problem with CDR's.

Jimmy, what brand of cd-r do you use? i tried some branded ones and a low burn speed and i can't get them to play in mine. :(

simonl said:
Jimmy, what brand of cd-r do you use? i tried some branded ones and a low burn speed and i can't get them to play in mine. :(

Any type as far as I am aware.

I have used Maxell, Fuji, Philips but mostly Viking's own cheap ones, just use Media player on standard settings. Funnily enough we have a portable CD player in the house that is about 12 years old and that will only play 2 out of 10 CD-R's the car CD changer has always played every one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom