Radio "forgets" telephone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scenes

Car
B-Class
I have no problem pairing my Samsung Galaxy S4 with the radio in my 2009 B-Class. Contacts are imported without difficulty, and when I check the status of the phone the radio reports that the S4 is authorised.

However, the next day, after starting up and the TEL button on the radio is pressed I get the message that no telephones are authorised and have to go through the pairing procedure again. (While it appears to "forget" that the S4 has been authorised it retains the contact list ok.)

Is there a way to force the radio to "remember" the phone that it has previously authorised?

I have no problem pairing my Samsung Galaxy S4 with the radio in my 2009 B-Class. Contacts are imported without difficulty, and when I check the status of the phone the radio reports that the S4 is authorised.

However, the next day, after starting up and the TEL button on the radio is pressed I get the message that no telephones are authorised and have to go through the pairing procedure again. (While it appears to "forget" that the S4 has been authorised it retains the contact list ok.)

Is there a way to force the radio to "remember" the phone that it has previously authorised?

This is almost certainly a 'feature' of the Samsung. We see many many bluetooth issues with Samsung phones, far more than all other manufacturers combined!

I recommend you get the firmware on the phone up to the latest level.

Thanks for your reply Alfie.

Phone is up to date - Android Kit-Kat 4.4.2

Last night I re-paired the Samaung S4 and also paired a Blackberry. Everything worked as it should and both appeared in the list of authorised telephones, and either phone could be selected for hands-free use.

Parked the car for an hour and on my return both phones were still in the system. Happy days!

However when the car was started this morning I was greeted with the no telephones authorised message. Both phones somehow "forgotten".

Resetting the system did not cure the problem, nor has any of the dozen or more of the suggestions turned up by Google searches over the past couple of weeks.

Perhaps only Mercedes have the resources to sort this one out.

An Audio 20 with colour screen?

There have been a few of us with this issue, my old one did it, but I put an NTG2.5 Nav in, and my old mans one does it in his ML.

Phone can be fine for a day, or sometimes a week, but it will loose it again.

Doesn't matter if it was the Sony Z1 or iPhone, always looses them.

I did a full reset of the system and then put his back on and it was fine for ages, but then I used his car and paired my 5s and he said that his phone was gone again the next day.
So wondering if it runs out of room?

I have reset the system and paired his again and left mine off, that was last week, forgot to ask if it is still paired, I will ask him tomorrow.

Many thanks gIzzE, I was beginning to think it was just me.

I'll do another reset and use a 6 digit pairing code, it's about the only thing I haven't tried - not holding my breath, but you never know...

Just hook one phone up and see how long it lasts.

This morning, reset and paired a single phone using a 6 digit code. It survived as the sole item in the list of authorised telephones for most of the day in which several short journeys were made. Then in the evening got the dreaded message Ready for Bluetooth/ No telephones authorised

Perhaps there is a software update for the Audio 20 that will cure this behavior, I'll check with our local dealer at the next service.

Seems a few people have got their units replaced, but no doubt Mercedes will say "We have never heard of it before."
Unless out of warranty and then they will say "That is £600 Sir."

This morning, reset and paired a single phone using a 6 digit code. It survived as the sole item in the list of authorised telephones for most of the day in which several short journeys were made. Then in the evening got the dreaded message Ready for Bluetooth/ No telephones authorised

Perhaps there is a software update for the Audio 20 that will cure this behavior, I'll check with our local dealer at the next service.

I got my dealership to update the firmware during a B-Service, but this did not solve its tendency to forget paired devices. Ended up replacing the Audio 20 with another one I purchased on Gumtree which solved the problem for me. I was using an iPhone 4S at that time.

That's annoying!

I don't often need to use the phone when driving, but would like the radio to remember the pairing for those times when I do. The idea of having to re-pair every day does not bear thinking about.

Since there is a risk of buying a replacement of eBay (or wherever) that has the same problem, I may go for one of those all singing, all dancing double din units to replace the Audio 20. However there is a bewildering range of models to choose from.

I have the Alpine W925r in my ML, and I love that, sound quality, features, build and most importantly it has an amber setting that makes it look very oem, plus it has an ambient liht sensor so it adjusts its brightness to match the cabins interior lighting. Small touches make it really work.

They sell a kit to work with the B Class...

7e5453551e.jpg

Alpine*-*B-Class (T245) 06/2005 - 06/2011

Plus you can pick up the ICS-7 and ICS-8 for good prices used when they pop up, which is the Android Mirror Link head unit.

iPhone??????

iPhone??????

You what?? :D

He is using an S4, I have been using 5s and 4s.

Does it with various handets.

My old man said his lost his iphone 4 again after a couple of days.

This is probably my last roll of the dice before either replacing the unit or trying the dealer.

Just did a BT reset in engineering mode, not convinced that it will cure the problem, but it appears to have done no harm as the phones (Blackberry and Samsung) both subsequently paired without any difficulty and remained in the list of authorised telephones even after several on/off cycles.

If the list remains intact for more than 24 hours I'll take it as a sign of improvement.

Will report back with the result of this experiment.

How do you get into engineering mode of the Audio 20?

Well the BT reset didn't work. The list of authorised telephones is again magically empty. Grrrrrr!

I know. It was a long shot, as there was never a problem with the bluetooth itself, it has always been a memory issue.

I believe that there may be several variations but pressing Hangup + 1 + # simultaneously, and keeping them held for a while, gets me onto engineer mode. Once in, press TEL/RADIO/DISC/SYS, as appropriate. Repeated presses of the numeric 0 key will always get you out.

BT reset didn't work for me either - hence I resorted to replacing the Audio 20 in my W169. The replacement unit worked faultlessly until I replaced it with a NG 2.5 satnav unit recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom