RAF fighter dig.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dichtung

Car
W203 2.2Cdi
Tonight. Freeview 12, 21.30.

Dan Snow.

Could this be the Irish bog dig?

Was the Luftwaffe attacking from the west!?

Last night's episode of Dig 1940 featured the excavation of the wreck of a Spitfire in Ireland.

Given the Irish left lights on their homes to direct them, I doubt it.

Aw shucks; have I missed it.

What channel was Dig 1940 on? Mebby I player? :wallbash:

I think it was on Channel 12 - "Yesterday". They are showing a Northern Ireland-themed series with an episode on earlier this evening and another one will be shown tomorrow.

Thanks Scott F. Had to record tonight`s cos SWMBO insisted on watching "Lewis". Can`t win.

They had long range Condors that could attack shipping to the west and south west of Ireland.

The Spitfire in the programme was reported as having been involved in providing 'top cover' to a convoy. So my assumption is that it was providing cover against this threat.

Given the Irish left lights on their homes to direct them, I doubt it.
That is a lie and you know it. :mad:
Neutral countries left their lights on so they wouldn't be bombed. Yet Dublin was still bombed on a couple of occasions.
Despite our neutrality our firemen voluntarily crossed the border to fight the fires in Belfast.
Wiki said:
By 6am, within two hours of the request for assistance, 71 firemen with 13 fire tenders from Dundalk, Drogheda, Dublin, and Dún Laoghaire were on their way to cross the Irish border to assist their Belfast colleagues. In each station volunteers were asked for, as it was beyond their normal duties. In every instance, all volunteered. They remained for three days, until they were sent back by the Northern Ireland government.

Wiki said:
In 1995 on the fiftieth anniversary of the ending of the Second World War an invitation was received by the Dublin Fire Brigade for any survivors of that time to attend a function at Hillsborough Castle and meet Prince Charles. Only four were known still to be alive, and one, Tom Coleman, attended to receive recognition for his colleagues' solidarity at such a critical time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom