Rain sensor Wipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amolak

Car
B200Turbo & V350
Hi,
Are these standard on my car?
It rained today but I had to manually turn on the wipers?

Pls advise

Amo
1998 S280 w140 UK

Do you have a sensor in the top centre of your screen behind the rear view mirror?

Apart from the very current models (which I believe have fully automatic wipers) you need to set the wiper control to position 1, which would normally be intermitant. The sensor on a 1998 would be like mine I think, more of a infinatly variable intermitant than fully automatic. Cool all the same though!

With mine you still have to set the wiper to position 1, but it is fully automatic in that if it isn't raining they don't come on! They are then variable speed when it does rain.

Originally posted by RichardM
With mine you still have to set the wiper to position 1, but it is fully automatic in that if it isn't raining they don't come on! They are then variable speed when it does rain.

Snap, apart from a single wipe when you first set to position 1.

rain sensors are a conspiricy by the wiper manufacturors to make you use more blades. Cars with the sensor use the blades twice as fast as cars without:mad:

Well my car doesn't have them and I wish it did. I find the intermittent wipe is either to slow or too fast, never just right. Very annoying.

you can make it wipe by knocking the end of the end of the stalk , but , not hard enough to skoosh

Originally posted by fuzzer
rain sensors are a conspiricy by the wiper manufacturors to make you use more blades. Cars with the sensor use the blades twice as fast as cars without:mad:

Heh doesn't the W203 have 2 blades as opposed to the W202's single one? Now that's a wiper manufacturer conspiracy ;) :p

S.

My new W211 E Class has 2 Blades as well mate. Big solid rubber ones too.:rock: :rock:

yeah . it does :(

The wiper mechanism is still as complex tho . Its got a fancy sweeping wiper in the middle and one smaller one stuck on the drivers side.:D

Well, I like my big single wiper - works like a charm. New blade every service, only use MB screenwash and it good as gold.

Oh, apart from the plastic finisher bit that "fell off" one evening. Four quid to replace.

Mine doesn t have the sensor but wouldn t it be lovely to have a variable control for the wipers. Can t understand that a expensive car wouldn t have a delay switch on it. I suppose most people have the sensor and thats why. Annoying all the same.

Cheers
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom