Rain sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sanj

Car
BMW M4 Competition pack & C205 250D AMG line
Hi chaps ,

Around 5 weeks ago I had to have my windscreen replaced as a massive stone chip hit it at high speed on the motorway (damn bmw drivers)

Didnt cause me any harm , just a massive gash in the windscreen , anyway after I had the screen replaced it seems like the rain sensor has stopped working correctly.

Does it use fuzzy logic ? or has it reset itself or is it learning all over again ??

sorry I forgot to mention on a 99 w202.

Sanj :bannana:

I seem to remember that somebody had this before after a windscreen change, and the sensor had not been plugged back into the dome light assembly correctly (or at all)

... so probably worth removing the dome light and checking for loose / hanging cables in that area.

S.

SYM ,

thanks ,

I have a feeling it works its just intermitent ...

Sometimes it works when its pissing down sometimes it does'nt

oh by the way how easy is it to remove the dome light ?

Sanj said:
how easy is it to remove the dome light ?
Easy . . .

flip off the two front plastic lens covers with a small flat screwdriver (or fingernail, if you don't bite them ;)) - from the front

This will reveal two "finger" sized holes which you can use two fingers in to pull the assembly GENTLY down from the roof, exposing the plug sockets and any wiring at the back . . . you may have auto dimming rear view mirror, and I'm pretty sure this is where the rain sensor plugs in as well. . . . CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE CONFIRM !!

S.

If the sensor is not connected, you will have regular intermitent wipers on setting one, not rain sensing. Hope you get it sorted. Rain Sensors rock!

Techically speaking, the sensor needs re-calibrating using Star Diagnosis (ie by MB dealer), most of the time it doesnt seem to matter (I had various windscreens on my last CLK, once it needed doing, the others didnt seem to matter)
R

GrahamC230K said:
If the sensor is not connected, you will have regular intermitent wipers on setting one, not rain sensing. Hope you get it sorted. Rain Sensors rock!

Ah does this mean if I disconnect this then I will have proper intermittent wipers? They're not going to be variable but at least it would avoid the stupid situation of having the screen smeared when dry and then having to put them on full manually when I get the occasional wipe during pouring rain. I'm straight out to do this tomorrow morning :bannana:

Cheers
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom