Rainex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motard

Car
92 250 TD
As the sky was leaking here today I wondered how many of you use Rainex or even know about it. One of my favourite products and one of the cheapest.

Bob

Love the stuff. Have used it for years, old habit from when I was in US.

Well worth £6.99.

WL

I often use Rainex and its very good when you are driving at speed in the rain. Some find it difficult to apply and screen becomes cloudy but the key to combat this is use the glass cleaner that often comes with Rainex.

You take a long time applying it, but once done (properly) makes the glass super slippery to water, road dirt etc. Water justs runs off, friction is less on the wiper blades, and you can get very distracted watching drips run up the windscreen at anything over 40mph.

Jaymanek,

It is a product that you apply to glass, it makes water bead and run off. The result is that you have clear vision even in a downpour, no more opening windows at road junctions when it is raining. I don't recommend using on the windscreen though as it does cloud with oncoming headlights and you have wipers anyway. Use it on side and rear windows, external mirrors and headlamps.
Wleg, that is where I got the habit also.

Cheers,

Bob

In my experience its a love/hate relationship with this stuff.

For example, I love it. My missus hates it. She never let me forget the time I did her Porker with it for months and months.

A lot of people don't like the fact that you get a momentary "smear" of the whole screen before it clears as the wipers pass over it. You soon get used to this and it isn't like this long enough to be dangerous.

For a newbie I'd say give it a go and see how you get on with it. You can always clean it off if you don't get on with it.

I've never had the smear effect, although I tend to put on 2 coats, and let it dry between application and polishing off. And the polishing can take 20 mins on the windscreen.
I also use it on the rear screen so that the water runs off once above 30mph or so...

I put it on about 3 times a year and am happy with the results.

Best to get hold of some and apply it to the side screens or rear screen, (make sure glass is very clean first) and see what you think.

Originally posted by Motard
As I said earlier, do NOT put it on the windscreen.

Bob

Thats where it is best on the windscreen. I hardly ever use my wipers, just let the wind clear the screen for you.

The original RainX was good at first but soon deteriorated and made the glass smeary, the new version and now other makes are brilliant. Use it on headlights too, keeps them clean. The main thing to remember is to get the glass as clean as possible before applying, use a solvent to remove the grease.

I also use it on my shower glass and tiles, I did start doing my house windows with it, you can tell which ones I have done when it rains but it is a big job to do all the windows.

Maybe I will try it again on my windscreen, didn't like the smears I got before against oncoming lights, if they have got over this then it will be great.

Bob

It also has the benefit in the winter that snow doesn't stick as easily to side windows, and frost/ice is easier to remove.

Yep I've used the stuff for years and it's great for the cab rear window, which doesn't clear easily normally. Don't use it on windscreen though as it never seemed to work all that well after a couple of days. I'm another one who uses it on the shower doors as well, saves a lot of work there

Cheers
Andy

Originally posted by Aswall
I'm another one who uses it on the shower doors as well, saves a lot of work there
Guess what I'll be doing this weekend ;) great idea guys.

This stuff gets a lot of use on aircraft windshields the world over where failure of the wipers can be a pretty bad experience! I have used it for years on my cars, but no longer use on the windscreen because it really only works well if regularly applied (as previous posts suggest a bit of a drag) and above 50mph I have found.

So if you do a lot of motorway driving in winter months it is fine, but otherwise I would suggest use it only for headlights, side & rear windows where it works well. I also use it on ski goggles, glasses etc.

(I can't tell you the relief - I thought I was the only person who used this stuff on the shower door....):D

I have found that its effectivness really depends on the slope of the windscreen - too upright and it doesn't do the job quite so well.

:bannana:

My experience with Rain-X over the years :-

1) I don't use in on the windscreen (like Motard etc said), as I
find that it smears when the road is greasy/

2) Its excellent on all the other windows and side mirrors,lights

3) It does help with reducing the formation & 'stickability' of frost !
(I kid you not!)

4) Apply in about once every couple of months for best effects.

Verg

Frost? What is this stuff you mention?

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom