RainX tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MeQ

Car
EQE 300 Premium
I have RainX being delivered today, any tips for application?

Car was washed yesterday, sprayed whilst wet with sonax BSD and then dried including pan roof and rear window.

Windows have previously had AG glass polish on them but not this time.

Don’t even open the Rain X package and send it back. This stuff is truly amazing compared to it

Buy it on Amazon. Sorry I can’t seem to add the link.

Don’t even open the Rain X package and send it back. This stuff is truly amazing compared to it

Buy it on Amazon. Sorry I can’t seem to add the link.

Too late, just applied a coat 😂

It also leaves a greasy film on the screen that dirt adheres to after continuous use, you really need to clean the screen more often than if did not use the stuff.

Long time ago I remember reading a post about using it on the shower screens and winning many brownie points from SWMBO - not tried it myself, just use it on the SLK windscreen and have not been totally convinced!

Reactions: MeQ
I think it's great. Been using it for years. Someone said it lasts for 6 days, more like 6 weeks. Initially, clay bar the screen, only use clean water on the screen, no soap suds. RainX, let it haze dry then buff up with paper towel or microfibre.
Basically only have to use the flick wipe, above 40mph rain blows off. Faster you go the quicker it blows off.:thumb:

But what's wrong with using you wipers and having them on properly?.... that is what they are for after all! Its useful stuff on the side and rear windows... but on the screen it's a solution for a problem no one has. Also can cause issues with auto wipers...does on my car... not so much on the A Class.
Great on helmet visors though!

It's absolutely fine. 6 weeks with wipers for me under testing. Yes other products last longer but the rain X is economical as you don't use loads and get a decent amount for the price. It's like £5 or less on offer sometimes

Put 2 coats on, use a damp microfibre to remove.

I've never had an issue with Rain-X, as long as you don't let it bake on or over apply. Lasts well enough as well. I actually prefer the glass cleaner that applies as you clean the glass.

H2Go by Angelwax is a bit better a product, more forgiving to buff off too.

Which Rain-X are we talking about? The spray on cleaner and coating, or the more concentrated coating? I use the former fairly regularly with no problems.

Yeah I don't really subscribe to rain X lasting 6 days. Not in my experience at all. Rain X 2 the spray on lasts for weeks at a time. That being said you can get smudges which are annoying. The new turtle wax wet ceramic and also hydrophobic wet solutions work very well and I prefer them to rain X as they don't leave smudges. They don't last as long but they're easier to apply

But what's wrong with using you wipers and having them on properly?.... that is what they are for after all! Its useful stuff on the side and rear windows... but on the screen it's a solution for a problem no one has. Also can cause issues with auto wipers...does on my car... not so much on the A Class.
Great on helmet visors though!

Completely disagree with you here. The difference is hugely significant. Without any hydrophobic coating on your windscreen , heavy rain splatters significantly eg at motorway speeds of 60+ mph and visibility is very noticeably reduced vs a hydrophobic coated screen. With rain X or other products, you don't even need to use wipers at higher speeds, the rain just skims off
The below video shows the effects of the coat after a few screenwashes a few weeks after application. You don't even need wipers...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
you don't even need to use wipers at higher speeds, the rain just skims off
But why....I have perfectly functioning wipers that do the job fine... so why would I not just turn them on. Personally I think the Rain X is a solution to a problem no one has.....Great on visors.... but they don't have wipers!

Great on visors.... but they don't have wipers!

Install a wiper on your visor then no need for RainX.:thumb:

But why....I have perfectly functioning wipers that do the job fine... so why would I not just turn them on. Personally I think the Rain X is a solution to a problem no one has.....Great on visors.... but they don't have wipers!
I think you're missing the point completely. The visibility when it is raining is significantly improved with a hydrophobic coating. In the video I uploaded I didn't even need to use the wipers and it was raining very heavily

Yeah I don't really subscribe to rain X lasting 6 days. Not in my experience at all. Rain X 2 the spray on lasts for weeks at a time. That being said you can get smudges which are annoying. The new turtle wax wet ceramic and also hydrophobic wet solutions work very well and I prefer them to rain X as they don't leave smudges. They don't last as long but they're easier to apply

Completely disagree with you here. The difference is hugely significant. Without any hydrophobic coating on your windscreen , heavy rain splatters significantly eg at motorway speeds of 60+ mph and visibility is very noticeably reduced vs a hydrophobic coated screen. With rain X or other products, you don't even need to use wipers at higher speeds, the rain just skims off
The below video shows the effects of the coat after a few screenwashes a few weeks after application. You don't even need wipers...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can hear your Thinkware dash cam, I have them too. Very useful especially entering a speed camera zone 👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom