Raised profile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
I've just changed the tyres on the SL500 and raised the profile from 55 to 60. I cannot believe how much more comfortable it has made the ride.:)

I've just changed the tyres on the SL500 and raised the profile from 55 to 60. I cannot believe how much more comfortable it has made the ride.:)

I will never understand how a car can be comfortable running around on a 30-35 profile on 8½ inch wheels or with a 225 tyre.. OK my SL has 285 rears and the profile at 35 is OK

My SLK had low profile tyres (can't remember exactly how low) and they were not too bad compared to the SL500 (92 model), but I think old R129's have a pretty firm ride. The SL60 (98 model) has lowish profile but is a much more forgiving ride than the 500.

doesn't this mess up the rolling diameter, speed readings, cruise control etc etc

doesn't this mess up the rolling diameter, speed readings, cruise control etc etc

It's a 3.7% uplift assuming 245 - 16 tyres.
This will affect the speedo but nothing else as all the tyres still have equal RR.

It's a 3.7% uplift assuming 245 - 16 tyres.
This will affect the speedo but nothing else as all the tyres still have equal RR.

225 - 16 garage guy told me it was a 5% uplift....I don't know for sure but it is higher.

3.5%.

For dampers just give each corner a good bounce. It should feel fairly stiff.

I suspect you would feel a significant difference from fitting new dampers and springs.

225 - 16 garage guy told me it was a 5% uplift....I don't know for sure but it is higher.

If you have changed from 225/55x16 to 225/60x16

then you have increased the rolling circumference of the tyre by 3.44%

This puts your speedo & mileometer out by the same margin, over & above any discrepancy that may have been there to begin with.

Russ

Having changed the profile the speedo is now more accurate!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom