Ran into this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you sure about this? Only my understanding is that you only need to notify your insurers if you intend to rely on insurance to resolve a claim. If there's no claim theres no need to involve the insurance companies at all.

I agree you should provide your insurance details *if asked* but choosing to involve insurers or not is none of the police's business nor is it criminal if both parties agree.

I would actually say that if the damage is less than about £3000 then it is cheaper in the long term to sort things out in cash - even in a non fault accident with the other party to blame.

It comes down to what the terms of your insurance policy (a legally binding contract) demand. If they state that you have to inform the company of any accident, and you choose not to do so, then you risk having your policy cancelled if they subsequently find out about it.

There are two separate elements at play here: choosing whether to claim (whch may affect your no claims discount if it's not protected); and declaring the accident itself, which will probably result in a higher premium regardless of whether you claim, as it makes you a higher risk (statistically). Withholding this information at the time of the event is basically fraud, and the error would be compunded at each renewal for next five years if you continued not declare it.

If you have an RTC that falls within the area of needing to be reported you must report it to an officer in person (calling 999 is not reporting) directly and in all case's with 24 hours.

Failing to do so is an offence.

How is that defined, JBR?

Any RTC where owing to the presence of a vehicle on a road or public space, a collison has occured.

This includes single vehicle, animals,any obects on or off road 'the offroad bit would be crash barriers for example but not the shed behind it in a field'.

The animals that count are:

Cattle
Horses
Asses
Mules
Pigs
Dogs
Goats

To clear up my last post, if you hit a vehicle you are required to stop and wait to be spoken to by any intrested party to exchange details. If you are not approched'eg its parked and unattended' then you must report it to police.

Definitley inform your insurers.. Someone ran into the back of my CLK about a month ago at 11 at night, we swapped details etc.. Had a look at the damage. His car had a bad scrape and deep scratches along with a crack on the front bumper.. My car only had very light scratching.. Then I thought more of it and took my car to mercedes to have it plugged to a STAR as my sensors had stopped working.. Following that I was told I have faulty sensors and a possible faulty module..

Told my insurer everything and gave the details of guy who hit me, now my cars being repaired..

So make sure you tell your insurer as my damage didnt look that bad but then I found it was alot worse than I thought.

:thumb:

The only situation you might be able to get away without telling your insurance company is, ahem, if you write off your crappy old banger of little value which was insured third party and no one or nothing else is involved.

:bannana:

How do they manage that without fingers?

Cattle probably use a Cattlculator and Pigs, a Pen.

The only situation you might be able to get away without telling your insurance company is, ahem, if you write off your crappy old banger of little value which was insured third party and no one or nothing else is involved.

:bannana:

Nope. Assuming you ever wanted to take out motor insurance again, you'd still be withholding material facts that could have a bearing on the premium charged.

Nope. Assuming you ever wanted to take out motor insurance again, you'd still be withholding material facts that could have a bearing on the premium charged.

I can assure you it is possible!

Guess which company advised me to keep that information to myself.

:D

Can a backward dog count to 9K? :dk:

I guess, assuming that dog is not backwards in counting forwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom