Random activation of hazard (indicator) lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy730

Car
Landrover 90, Volvo S60 T5. A140L, A140, Nissan Micra, VW Beetle. MGF.
Hi,

I have just picked up a 1999 A140 as a 'new' car for my daughter. The car is very good, although today it seems to have a mind of its own with regards the hazard lights. Whilst driving, or parking, or any small movements back or forwards, the hazard light come on. And i can't switch them off...

No other warning lights come on... and apart from this little issue, the car appears to be fault free...

Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be causing this to happen please?

Thanks,

Andy

hi.
the problem is not the hazard lights, it's the alarm by the front wiper mechanism.
you can either replace the alarm siren or disconnect it.
for more info, hints and tips about a class go to
https://www.facebook.com/?react=AQDWU2xEmXcDq24_#!/aclassForrera

Hi, thanks for the reply... i had a thought that it might be linked to the alarm some how, but wasn't sure.

So, if it is a faulty alarm system, how will replacing the siren cure the problem?

Is there any way to disable the link between the alarm and the hazard lights?

Any links for pictures would be good if have them, i also had a look on the facebook link, there's some good stuff there, i am hoping that the car will be reliable and not need much intervention from me..

Any other info would be vary much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

I'm resurrecting this thread to show that I do search before posting, lol!

Today an odd thing happened. Came back from a lunchtime trip to a horrible place called Sainsburys (last time someone scrunched the bumper and left black marks on it but that's irrelevant to this query), left the top down when I parked outside my office and went in to eat some lunch and do some work. Later, I skived, erm, I mean I drove to the Bank to deposit some cheques and when I got into the car it was doing a calypso on the hazard warning lights, quite syncopated. Tried all sorts, then pressed the 'unlock' button on my key fob and all was peace.

Question: Was this an indication that my car has more interest in the World Cup than its owner, or should the alarm have gone off because although I didn't lock the car when I left it, it had automatically locked? Does this mean the alarm is dodgy? (Oh, that's two questions.)

All information will be very welcome, please remember I'm just a lady with no mechanical skills when forming your comments!

Regards, Lisa

Is this an1999 SLK?

If the car wasn’t locked at the time of the hazards flashing incident then the alarm should not have gone off.

Locking the car with the remote, arms the alarm.
Unlocking the car with the remote, disarms arms the alarm.

Do the test in the link below, when you intentionally trigger the alarm, the siren should sound and the hazards should flash.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/169666-w202-how-test-car-alarm.html

Dec

Thank you Dec, I'll try that. Not really too worried about the siren, after all she's 15 and not a popular colour, but want to brE right with the insurance.

Regards, Lisa

If an alarm is faulty and if it were flashing the hazards lights all night, perhaps without sound from the siren then the car battery could be drained.

If faulty then its best to have it disconnected, at 15 years old, and if the siren is the original factory fitted unit, then it’s quite likely to be faulty.

Dec

Good point, not to mention advertising the fault if the car is on the drive, or indeed in the garage as there are windows in the door (though a distance from the lane).

I will go somewhere remote and give it a go, but I'm fairly certain it's 'gone to meet its maker'.

If the alarm fails the test then you have two options;
Unplug the alarm siren, it has a 3 pin plug on its rear.
Or
Replace the siren with a new one from an MB dealer, about £100, this will bring the alarm system back up to working order.

About an hours labour is required to unplug the old siren or to fit a new siren if you aren’t DIY..

See… Replacement Alarm Siren (Facelift) - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Dec

Thanks Dec. My DIY skills may have deteriorated since I replaced a wiper worm gear on a Reliant Scimitar on the morning before a trip to France while my husband was working. (That was about 25 years ago!) however I may give it a go. Any idea what it might cost to remove the 'chirps'? My biggest complaint about my husband's modern car is that it's too noisy!

The chirp is not really all that noisy, the car has to go on star (Mercedes diagnostics) to have the chirps disabled.

If you wanted it turned off it would be just as handy to have it fitted and turned off by an independent MB mechanic.

The siren costs about £100 From MB dealer only.
No idea what the charge would be for fitting and diagnostics.

Dec

[YOUTUBE]Ziv_uJ7eC7w[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for that YouTube link, too noisy for me I'm afraid, though. I'll have to investigate this a bit further I think.

I've been advised (by a local member to the north of me a bit) of the name of a local independent garage such as you describe, but first will talk to the chap who sorts the Merc normally, the Honda and the Vespa. Bit of loyalty.

Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom