Random boiler question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Microbore heating systems will have a multi connection manifold ,on a conventional system usually sited in the airing cupboard, or sometimes under the floorboards, each Rad is fed off this, and this is where mostly the sludge would build, in the past the the best way was to cut it out, either take it outside and clean , or buy a new one.when refitting be careful not to get your connections mixed up, best to call a Plumber first. ;)

This is certainly not the case with a Wimpey Homes installation, there are no manifolds , they just reduce down pipe work sizing near to radiator .

Lesson I have learnt, on no account buy a WimpeyHome , let's face it they never even made a good Hamburger :thumb:

This is superb.

When someone asks a sensible question , we all give sensible answers.

When someone behaves like an idiot, they get the treatment they deserve.

It's simple.

As Developer said for your boiler.

Last edited:
I've never worked in a Wimpey home or any sort of 'new build' in fact the newest house I've worked on is my sisters which is early seventies.

Re the manifolds, this is how they pipe up the heating systems in Greece.

This is certainly not the case with a Wimpey Homes installation, there are no manifolds , they just reduce down pipe work sizing near to radiator .

Lesson I have learnt, on no account buy a WimpeyHome , let's face it they never even made a good Hamburger :thumb:

Boilermate2 Heat store is a different type of boiler and h/w system, that a lot of housing contractors thought were the bees knees in the 2000's, by 2006/7 homeowners were so fed up with breakdowns, they were attempting to claim compensation from the manufacturer or main contractor for having them repaired or replaced with more conventional systems, which was good for us , because we changed quite a few at that time. Hoping yours lasts a few more years yet.

Never worked in a house with micro bore. In 33 years!

AND you've never seen a discoloured toilet seat or bath panel.

You've led a sheltered plumbing life. :D

Thanks guys for all the replys and help much appreciated cheers.
I'll take your advice and get a local plumber in to do the job.
And thanks for the heads up on a magna flow filter will also get one of these installed as well.

Think I have created my own problems by having a new boiler fitted with the old rads from the previous boiler.

Good idea about flushing them by removing, might have a look at doing this.

Once again thank you all for your help :thumb:

I'm surprised if you have had a new boiler the installer hadn't flushed the system as I thought it was required for the boiler warranty. I am going on what I have been told by an heating engineer so I may be wrong.

Boilermate2 Heat store is a different type of boiler and h/w system, that a lot of housing contractors thought were the bees knees in the 2000's, by 2006/7 homeowners were so fed up with breakdowns, they were attempting to claim compensation from the manufacturer or main contractor for having them repaired or replaced with more conventional systems, which was good for us , because we changed quite a few at that time. Hoping yours lasts a few more years yet.

Boilermate 1&2 heat store fondly known in the trade as The Sludgebucket :mad:
Sadly I knew nothing of these until moving into the House, there quickly followed a very fast learning program .

You had a small pipe cleaned near the pressure relief valve and BG deduced from that that your system needed cleaning? Sounds like an add on sale tactic to me. If your system is that sludged up, you should have cold patched on one or two of your rads. The cold area would be in an arc from inlet to outlet. If you havn't I would save your money and wait till it happens again.

I'm surprised if you have had a new boiler the installer hadn't flushed the system as I thought it was required for the boiler warranty. I am going on what I have been told by an heating engineer so I may be wrong.

Yes that's supposed to happen but unfortunately some don't do this as thy know the customer will be none the wiser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never worked in a house with micro bore. In 33 years!

Well Micro bore 8mm was very popular in the 1980's there are hundreds of places around here with it, 4 bed detached ,bungalows,the reason it was so popular was you could run it anywhere, you can bend it with your hands and you could run two lengths inside,plastic electric conduit straight down inside the wall in the middle of a rad and then come out and fit to the rad,problem now is 8 mm valves are very difficult to get and so you need to convert to 15mm just before the rad some of the early systems had only one valve on a rad with two pipes entering it,the return part of the valve had a stiff plastic tube to reach into the rad to return the water,as for flushing a old rad in the garden,I would get well covered up and use your pressure washer.:bannana:

Thanks Zipdip.

After I came out my time in 1986 I got into lead roofing so never went near any domestic jobs. Also, the firm that I did my apprenticeship with were commercial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom