Random car related sight

• Thread starter Deleted member 150136
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 150136

I passed what I think was a new vectra or mondeo estate on my local high street off loading some goods.

What did catch my eye was that it had hazards inside the boot, so when it was up they were still visible.

Simple but a good idea

vauxhall-insignia-vxr-12.jpg

It's an insignia. I'd never seen it before.

That's a sensible idea. I wonder what the aluminium rails either side are for.

@Cabriomat, so the owner has all their belongings stolen from within their vehicle and you took a picture of an empty boot! ;)
(Just going by your location :D, purely in jest being a local too)

On a serious note though, what a clever idea!

Yes, Insignia - estate also has the thickest tailgate bottom I’ve ever seen!

Yes, Insignia - estate also has the thickest tailgate bottom I’ve ever seen!

ah Vauxhall, the most used parts fitted are the hazard warning lights along with the bonnet release......

Is the Tailgate the Light Cluster Cover? or are the Clusters Duplicated on the Outside?:dk:
The small light units on the inside are in addition to the main rear light units on the outside. From memory the small lights on the inside are taillights and indicators only - there’s no need for brake, fog and reversing lights when the tailgate is open.

The rear light units are not mounted on the body, or split between the body and tailgate, instead the rear lights are 100% mounted on the tailgate. This means that when the tailgate is open, the rear light units are pointing skywards and so cannot be seen from ground level.

Does anyone know why Vauxhall/Opel designed it this way? I appreciate you must have visible lights with the tailgate open, but why not fit just one set of lights on the rear end like everyone else? The boot opening is no wider than any other car with those secondary lights in the way.

Martin.

Reactions: 219
Slightly related - why do many 4WDs (typically, Japanese, eg Isuzi, Mitsubishi, etc) have duplicated tail lights?

Slightly related - why do many 4WDs (typically, Japanese, eg Isuzi, Mitsubishi, etc) have duplicated tail lights?

I *think* that one is because construction and use regs for tail-lights require them to be fitted between 350mm and 1500mm from the road. Section 13.2 of The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 for example.

Martin

It's to meet local regs where lights are required to be visible when side opening tailgate (usually with spare wheel) is open. Often the upper cluster is gutted and largely empty - this was certainly the case on the LandCruiser Colorado, imports had fully populated upper clusters where the UK cars did not. Compare with the Amazon's split tailgate, there are no lights in the rear bumper as the outer clusters are visible even with lower tailgate dropped.

It's to meet local regs where lights are required to be visible when side opening tailgate (usually with spare wheel) is open. Often the upper cluster is gutted and largely empty - this was certainly the case on the LandCruiser Colorado, imports had fully populated upper clusters where the UK cars did not. Compare with the Amazon's split tailgate, there are no lights in the rear bumper as the outer clusters are visible even with lower tailgate dropped.

Entirely plausible - but now raises the question of why vans with side hinged doors are permitted to obscure their lights with the doors anything but fully closed. Different regs, car and commercial?

It's the door mounted spare tyre completely obscuring the cluster, rather than the door itself. If the van doors are open rearwards the lights should still be visible down the face of it?

I have seen this before on another marque, but I can't for the life of me remember, It might have been in the USA. Some other estate cars have lights in the bottom edge of the tailgate , so when open the lights can be seen by approaching traffic. Range Rover ??

It's the door mounted spare tyre completely obscuring the cluster, rather than the door itself. If the van doors are open rearwards the lights should still be visible down the face of it?

They aren't. I've just tried with van type doors and in either position (first stop or 180deg opening) the lights are obscured.
My guess is the 4WD is a car and caters for the public, a van (different taxation class) caters for professional who would only be using the van for work and therefore would take additional precautions as per directed by H&S regs. Just a guess though!
You are on to something with the differentiation between single and double doors I think (either of which is required for a door mounted spare (unless on its own frame)).

This isn't trivial. I heard of a woman who having hit a deer in darkness and given the OK by police to dispose of it as she saw fit decided selling it to a butcher was the way to go. During loading it into the back of her car she obscured the tail lights and was hit by a car. Wheelchair bound for the rest of her life was her reward.

Interesting, I'm guessing the hinge design puts the door over the top of the cluster then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom