random cutting out especially when going downhill 300 24v

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Alright,

Finally got the 190 going after the 300 24v conversion, its runs lovely, idles fine if a bit high (1000 rpm but smooth). But it keeps stalling when you brake when going downhill and it has stalled a couple of times when dropping from third to second. Restarts on the button (easier than when standing?)

Any ideas ?

Brett

Loose battery or engine earth cable? Broken wire somewhere?

Nick Froome

Air leak into the intake manifold or sticky throttle flap.

Air leak into the intake manifold or sticky throttle flap.

Funny that as that's exactly what he was thinking it might be

I've taken off the air filter and cleaned the tb, the flap seems fine. Any idea how you identify a air leak on the inlet side ?

To identify if the engine has an air leak its best to put it on a c/o meter and see if its running lean first. If it is, have a listen around the inlet because air leaks can quite often be heard. If not then spray a can of carb cleaner around the vacuum connections on and around the inlet manifold. If there is an air leak you will know as the engine idle will increase.

Alright,

Finally got the 190 going after the 300 24v conversion, its runs lovely, idles fine if a bit high (1000 rpm but smooth). But it keeps stalling when you brake when going downhill and it has stalled a couple of times when dropping from third to second. Restarts on the button (easier than when standing?)

Any ideas ?

Brett

Hello fella,
Welcome to the world of the KE Jetronic...he he!!

Ok! as sugested check if there are any air leaks, check the pipe that goes from the bottom of the fuel distributor to the ICV.

If the engine is dying when the throttle body is fully closed...then check the Micro switch (roller lever) by the throttle linkage...this switch's function is to shut fuel off (on decelaration). You should be able to hear a "click" click is on/off signal which activates full throttle/and throttle off.

There is also a "TPS" sensor by the throttle body...but in my experience these TPS sensors are rock solid.

hope this helps

mazza

I've taken off the air filter and cleaned the tb, the flap seems fine. Any idea how you identify a air leak on the inlet side ?

Hi Mate,

Are you talking about the flap that is immediatly below the air filter case??

if so, that's not the throttle body...the throttle body is located below that flap...the said flap is actually the KE Jetronic air flow sensor plate.

mazza

Hi Brett

Pic as promissed

hope this helps

picture002icvandmicrosw.jpg

mazza

cheers mate, all above my pay grade so ive just relayed to my mechanic whos going to have a butchers on wednesday.

By the way mazza whats that elbow off of in your pic - my engine is crying for that ugly mahoosive and rusty air box to be dumped ???

also if there is a air flow sensor plate does this mean there is not a conventional MAF and if so whats the small sensor on the leading inlet on the air filter ??

cheers

also if there is a air flow sensor plate does this mean there is not a conventional MAF and if so whats the small sensor on the leading inlet on the air filter ??

cheers

thats correct mate... and if we are thinking about the same sonsor, it must be the air temp sensor.

mazza

Cheers mazza.

Well I really hate grease monkeys sometimes !!! He smelt the exhaust , turned a screw (the mix), fixed in less than a minute :)

Cheers mazza.

Well I really hate grease monkeys sometimes !!! He smelt the exhaust , turned a screw (the mix), fixed in less than a minute :)

Excellent news mate!

that explains the slightly high idle. Is the Idle sorted out now ??

Good old 3mm T Bar allen key...and a good nose...he he!
Another thing i recommend for hardcore KE Jetonic users is a Lambda Air/fuel meter, makes it so easy to detect fuel problems nice and early.

mazza

Idle still high but he said not to worry at this stage due to donor car probably having loads more electrics like air con etc

Finally got to give her a good whipping after all my battery, gearbox and stalling problems and all I can is whoa girl :)

Finally got to give her a good whipping after all my battery, gearbox and stalling problems and all I can is whoa girl :)

The extra torque from the 3 litre is a match made in heaven on the the w201 chassis..

you just wait till you get the suspension fully sorted...he he!!

all the best

mazza

I'll second that :thumb: the car goes like hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom