Random Q & A's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

I thought it'd be good for people to post random questions about anything & everything.

I'll go first:

Why is it that automatic cars have huge brake pedals? In all the years of driving manual cars I've never yet missed the 'small' brake pedal. :dk:

Ant. :D

Probably just to make it easier for left foot brakers.

When they start doing major road upgrade works (say converting smaller roads into a bigger bypass), and they have live traffic to deal with so they start to build parts of the ultimate road layout and fire the traffic down the first bits to be finished, even though the traffic won't all run down these routes...

...how do they know what level to surface these bits at so that it all lines up later on i.e. what do they use to measure against.

Or it is just not that accurate and the surface is made to fit as and when?

I've often wondered the same John. It's mesmerising to see it all come together. However I think it's all planned out in advance rather than a lucky ending.

On a motorway theme, at the end of each slip road you have 3 sticks in the ground on the grass verge maybe a half meter apart. What the hell are these for???

I've often wondered the same John. It's mesmerising to see it all come together. However I think it's all planned out in advance rather than a lucky ending.

On a motorway theme, at the end of each slip road you have 3 sticks in the ground on the grass verge maybe a half meter apart. What the hell are these for???

Beating the ditherers.

It varies depending on fish stock.

Apart from the UK, Australia and a few other British outposts, why does the rest of the world drive on the wrong side?

Why does the car that you have rapidly overhauled on an almost empty road, immediately start to increase speed when you are overtaking it, before rapidly slowing down again after you have eventually passed it?

How do they make snooker balls so perfectly round???

When they start doing major road upgrade works (say converting smaller roads into a bigger bypass), and they have live traffic to deal with so they start to build parts of the ultimate road layout and fire the traffic down the first bits to be finished, even though the traffic won't all run down these routes...

...how do they know what level to surface these bits at so that it all lines up later on i.e. what do they use to measure against.

All construction sites use a fixed datum point to establish a " level" reference. All subsequent construction is levelled with reference to that point which is itself referenced to ordnance survey fixed datum points across the country. In the old days this was done with optical theodolites and measurement staves. Now its all done with digital theodolites lasers etc and in some cases satellite data. I'm sure forum members in the construction industry will clarify further with up to date info. :confused:

Theodolites | How Does a Theodolite Work | Theodolite vs Transit | How To Use Theodolites | Johnson Level & Tool Mfg Company

Apart from the UK, Australia and a few other British outposts, why does the rest of the world drive on the wrong side?

Going back to when the horse was the mode of transport, pretty much everwhere in the world drive "on the left" due to most people being right handed and keeping their swords/spears on their left side meaning you kept to the left during combat.

Napoleon took exception to this and did his best to convert everyone to the other side, the yanks following suit to rid theirselves of anything with even the vaguest whiff of Britishness.

So, yes, historically we do drive on the correct side of the road, especially if you fancy a bit of jousting.

They work off a datum line, not sure exactly which datum that will be outside but internally it will be a fixed point in an architects drawing; I've known it to be a marker pen on a wall that everyone on site has to work from.

Why in clothes shops do the assistants hound you within the first 20 seconds of entering the premises asking if they can help you with anything? (off-putting!)

Why do Nandos staff wait till you've just stuffed a lemon & herb chicken thigh wrapped in halloumi cheese into your gob to ask if the meals okay?

Why does A&E have really uncomfortable seating despite the fact that you'll be sat on it for hours and hours and hours...... :(

Why do birds suddenly appear?

Why does Stan Lee need a cameo in all the Marvel films?

Why do fat munters tend to wear leggings?

Why are we here and not there?

Who enforces the laws of nature?

Why don't the police seem to do anything about cars with faulty lights?

All construction sites use a fixed datum point to establish a " level" reference. All subsequent construction is levelled with reference to that point which is itself referenced to ordnance survey fixed datum points across the country. In the old days this was done with optical theodolites and measurement staves. Now its all done with digital theodolites lasers etc and in some cases satellite data. I'm sure forum members in the construction industry will clarify further with up to date info. :confused:

Theodolites | How Does a Theodolite Work | Theodolite vs Transit | How To Use Theodolites | Johnson Level & Tool Mfg Company

Ahh, those things they look through.

I thought they were for checking to see if the ground was collapsing where major works were being done - although I guess they could be if the datum is near the area of collapse.

Why does A&E have really uncomfortable seating despite the fact that you'll be sat on it for hours and hours and hours...... :(

It's to do with triage. Those faking it will get sore and move on, while genuine patients will suffer the agony to to be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom