Random service 'invitation'

• Thread starter Deleted member 126969
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 126969

Had a rather random email from the former servicing dealer yesterday. Allegedly it was prompted by MercedesMe telling them my service was due (it isn't). Only...the milage was from about a year ago, I changed dealer a long time ago and had even updated my preferences on the MercedesMe website to reflect that fact.

Anyone else had anything like it or am I just 'lucky'?

(Email was genuine)

The dealer I used to use emails regularly with sales and service offers. One email said they'll price match independent garages so they must be suffering a bit - really they should be embarrassed by how many indies there are in the area.

The dealer I used to use emails regularly with sales and service offers. One email said they'll price match independent garages so they must be suffering a bit - really they should be embarrassed by how many indies there are in the area.

Some have speculated here that MB may have kept the prices for their individual services artificially high in order to push customers into signing-up for a service plan. If this is correct, then it comes back and bites them when it comes to customers who are looking for just the one service (especially when it's a Service A with no additional items etc).

The issue for MB is finding the 'sweet spot' in the triangle of (a) selling individual services at high prices to unsuspecting customers, especially those whose cars are still under manufacturer's warranty, (b) selling a service plan to those customers who wouldn't be paying individual service rates, and (c) not losing business to independent garages for those customers who wouldn't pay the high cost of the individual services, and are not interested in committing to 2 services and more either.

It's a bit like the airlines do - how do you optimise the plane's use by selling each seat for the highest price that it can be sold for.... in the airlines' case, it's a matter of building the right algorithm and monitoring what their competitors are doping. For MB, it would be finding the right marketing and pricing strategy to ensure that they get as much business as they can while charging each customer as much as the customer is willing to pay...

It's a bit like the airlines do - how do you optimise the plane's use by selling each seat for the highest price that it can be sold for....

Well don't tempt fate! We could have a central service booking facility where prices vary according to date and service centre. Then when you book they try and sell you service insurance, extra screenwash, and speedy drop off and pickup options, and an executive lounge at the dealership for the premium clients .......

Well don't tempt fate! We could have a central service booking facility where prices vary according to date and service centre. Then when you book they try and sell you service insurance, extra screenwash, and speedy drop off and pickup options, and an executive lounge at the dealership for the premium clients .......

And then they'll charge for the coffee and biscuits... o_O

Actually , it is surprising that , as well as the servicing structure A , B .... etc , MB don't have list prices for services , which individual dealers can discount , but can't charge more than .

This would give customers the reassurance that wherever they travel they know that is the maximum they have to pay for a standard service , but dealers car still compete - just as they do with list prices for cars and discounts offered on the sales side .

Some have speculated here that MB may have kept the prices for their individual services artificially high in order to push customers into signing-up for a service plan.

I certainly believe that to be the case.

"My" dealer used to be up for a haggle and I got a very good deal on the 4yr 'everything' B service and ATF change a few years ago. However more recently if you call them you get put through to the Inchcape call centre and even when I eventually got someone at the dealership they just referred me to MyService.

VW have very fixed prices on their website which all the dealers seem to stick to. I was accidentally given a service contract invoice once and it was half the rack rate. I mentioned this to a Service Advisor and he said 'call and we'll sort you out a price'. Tried and got same as MB dealer - talk to the call centre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom