Range of smart key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allegoricus

Car
Mercedes-Benz E280 (W211), 2005
Does anyone know whether the range of the smart key is configurable?
My reason for asking is that, a couple of times, the boot release of my E280 has been operated inadvertently when I've had the key in my pocket. On one occasion the car was on the other side of the road, about 50 yards away, on the other I was upstairs in a flat we were visiting and the car was parked outside.
On neither occasion did I actually observe the boot opening, but happened to glance in the direction of the car, so I was quite lucky that it didn't remain open for long.
I'm considering gluing the boot button on the key. This never happened with our previous car (a C270), even though the key is the same.

Each time I've been preparing to go to the car, so will have been sticking things in my pocket, or removing, or checking contents.
It's only happened these couple of times.
We've had the car for more than a year.

Last edited:
Doesn't locking the boot with the key therefore bypassing the boot locking from the central locking disable the key fob boot release?
Though as above I'm finding it hard to believe its a key issue as the boot release on the key has to be held for a second or so to release it, which I would say is near impossible to do accidently with the key in the pocket.
But what else it could be I'm not really sure, possibly a faulty locking mechanism??

You have to take care not to engage the boot open button accidentally in order to avoid this problem otherwise you will need to lock the boot so that it cant be opened remotely.

To lock the boot, put the metal key blade into the boot lock and turn it all the way to the right and extract the key in that position.
The remote fob button will no longer open the boot nor can the boot be opened from inside the cabin.

Ensure that your boot lock is kept lubricated about twice a year… the seize up when not used… as the only way to open the boot is with the key blade.

Dec

Thanks for the contributions. I'll do some testing and, if I still consider it unreliable, I'll follow the hard-locking suggestion.

Hard locking the boot is fine but if you can also inadvertently unlock the doors as well then you've not solved the problem - I know from experience, having it happen to me and having lost a satnav as a result.

Inadvertently unlocking the doors (not the boot) shouldn't be a problem. If this happens, then the car re-locks itself after 30 seconds if no one opens the door.

The boot on my W204 has opened whilst on my drive a couple of times in the last four years, I presume something must have pressed the button in my pocket. I've never tested the transmitting range, though I suspect hat would vary dependent on the battery condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom