Range Rover Heaven or Hell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd say hell,is like buying one of those 124s with 210 front + those old RRs are very unreliable I'm told

You get what you get. Which is a P38 under what looks like a nice body kit. Good P38's are a rarity these days. Most requiring a healthy bank balance to keep them going. As said before in this forum P38's were over engineered on the gadget front. This meant an Air Con System that fails by design and costs a fortune to rectify at which point it fails again. A suspension system that has more leaking points than your average kitchen strainer coupled to head gaskets (V8's) that were made out of chewing gum.

But I do like the look of this. Would I live with the RR Owners club members wetting their pants laughing at me when I show up in it. No.

The P38 would have similar running costs to a CL600.

It's just the nature of the gizmos in it, which as already said on here go wrong with remarkable frequency.

I owned a "classic" RR for 7 years and loved it to bits but it was a much simpler vehicle to repair.

From the P38 onwards they become electrical and electronic time bombs.

The irony is that for another 3k you could pick up a proper TD6, some 8 years newer and with less mileage.

I can see why people convert the L322 to look like a 2010 model, mostly because you can't tell the difference when it's done.

But to convert a P38......

Each to their own, I guess....

I'd say hell,is like buying one of those 124s with 210 front + those old RRs are very unreliable I'm told

Unreliable is a very polite way of describing the fragile nature of the P38. I am not one to jump on the unreliability bandwagon but my friends parents made the same mistake twice (two P38's) and both have cost them a fortune. The electronics were clearly made by BL during the strikes in the 70's and then stockpiled for use in these.
As for that kit - truly hideous and manages to make the car look very cheap in my eyes.

You know, I dont think 'Baaaa', just does it justice!

You know, I dont think 'Baaaa', just does it justice!

How about.

Baaaaahhhhhhhh

general_melchett.jpg

GRID009480.jpg

RR Classic=good

rangerover-midddle-style-1-1-s.jpg

RR P38=Awful

2011_range_rover_autobiography_ultimate_images_main.jpg

RR L322=Good

I'm, not so sure the L322 was THAT good either.

Bottom line is, you have to "want" to own a Range Rover, they are not a Honda type drive it and forget car.

The L322 I had was brilliant, other than servicing plus one failed alternator I didn't have any problems with it, I still sometimes miss it now, one of my favourite cars ever and brilliant off road to boot(yes I did take it off road), I still have a soft spot for the Classics too, I've had a couple and you're less careful with them off road as you're not so worried about the paintwork!!, plus they have a sort of old school English appeal, it's just a shame so many a dogs now or are unfortunatly fitted with the thirsty slow Rover V8, only way I would have another Classic is in 200/300 TDI form, my brother had a P38 a while bac and it was awful, constantly going wrong and just frustrating,it wasn't nice to drive either, plus in my opinion it doesn't look nearly as good as either the current or Classic Rangie.

I had a 2001 P38 DHSE and the only thing I can say about it is........Money pit!

Does anybody know or have ever met somebody who had a P38 with working air con? That is working for longer than a day..

When my brother had one, it did work but it wasn't that powerful, in the end I used to laugh when that beeping error message came up on the screen, it was the sound of your wallet emptying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom