Range Rover reliability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It seems Range Rovers are reliable enough to hold up traffic on the M1 Between Rotherham and Milton Keynes today. Feck, there was loads of them in the third lane trundling along at 1.5 MPH over and above the other traffic. :D

Test drive an Evoque last year and it broke down. Test drive a discovery sport this year and it had Airbag light on the dashboard. Both of these were new demo vehicles. That was enough to put me off. Guy next door to me loves LR and RR particularly early 00 vintage but mist of his time is spent tinkering underneath them. As been said lovely vehicles when working but as with Jaguar there is a reason people tend to get rid of them out of warranty period.

Absolutely the worst cars ever.

I have sold a few and every one has cost me big in warranty claims and the last one I sold had me close to breaking point. Different things kept going wrong and everything was expensive and a nightmare job to do.

Anyone who says modern land rovers are reliable is either lying or been incredibly lucky.

They are regularly bottom of reliability tables.

A good friend runs a garage next door to a Landrover dealer, I was talking to him about potential next purchase being a 2-3yr old Range Rover Vogue and he said don't bring it to me I'm fed up of them.

So I think I might pass.

On our second full fatso. In nearly 3 years of daily use and 30k+ miles it has only asked for a set of brake pads and petrol (being a 5.0L supercharged one). It continues to give back tons of driving pleasure so is highly unlikely to ever be changed. I've not had a more reliable car in my life - full stop.

The older TDV8 it replaced was previously unloved and had issues, all bar one of which I solved using some pattern parts, Google and my hands. The last problem was a stubborn one - the engine would vibrate on occasional cold start (1 out of 20) until the car is put in gear - something even LR themselves didn't manage to get to the bottom of. The main dealer issued a formal letter signing that in case this causes any collateral damage to anything in the car, including complete destruction of the drive train, they guarantee to replace all damaged components free of charge. During the investigation process which went on and off for a few weeks, we've had a number of brand new LR courtesy cars (absolutely free - LR=1, MB=0), LR HQ Customer Support was involved and kept following up all by themselves (LR=2, MB=0), neither did I have to write any long worded letters to CEOs or any other nonsense which becomes quite common with MB these days (LR=3, MB=0). Oh and all of this was about 3 years ago with an '08 plated car which was out of extended warranty (LR=10, MB=0).

I love my Mercedes and had 3x MLs but for big, plush, gas guzzling estates on steroids, it's LR all the way.

Like I said - Toyota! :p:D:D:D
I think I wrote in another thread that my Mum has an old bought from new W plate RAV4.
It now lives with her on French plates at her house near La Rochelle.
She drives it back to the UK once or twice a year and I really don’t know how it goes on. I do know she has it serviced regularly so maybe that’s the key to it all. It is most certainly the biggest pile of junk ever.

Her husband has an equally $hitty BMW 316 compact, originally on an R plate that is in an equally awful state.

On the Hilux forum we call RRs 'bonnet ups' as that's their usual pose :)

We have a 54 plate RAV4 petrol ( 3rd one my wife has had ) 72 k miles and runs like a Swiss watch .

On our second full fatso. In nearly 3 years of daily use and 30k+ miles it has only asked for a set of brake pads and petrol (being a 5.0L supercharged one). It continues to give back tons of driving pleasure so is highly unlikely to ever be changed. I've not had a more reliable car in my life - full stop.

The older TDV8 it replaced was previously unloved and had issues, all bar one of which I solved using some pattern parts, Google and my hands. The last problem was a stubborn one - the engine would vibrate on occasional cold start (1 out of 20) until the car is put in gear - something even LR themselves didn't manage to get to the bottom of. The main dealer issued a formal letter signing that in case this causes any collateral damage to anything in the car, including complete destruction of the drive train, they guarantee to replace all damaged components free of charge. During the investigation process which went on and off for a few weeks, we've had a number of brand new LR courtesy cars (absolutely free - LR=1, MB=0), LR HQ Customer Support was involved and kept following up all by themselves (LR=2, MB=0), neither did I have to write any long worded letters to CEOs or any other nonsense which becomes quite common with MB these days (LR=3, MB=0). Oh and all of this was about 3 years ago with an '08 plated car which was out of extended warranty (LR=10, MB=0).

I love my Mercedes and had 3x MLs but for big, plush, gas guzzling estates on steroids, it's LR all the way.
You have put 10K miles a year on an expensive 5.0L car over the last 3 years and use that to defend its reliability ? I have no doubt you have had a good experience with JLR cars, but 30K in 3 years is no test of any vehicles reliability.

I am currently on my third Range Rover, a 2014 SDV8 Autobiography with all the options which I have owned for 3.5 years. My previous two were a 2012 RRS and a 2007 RRS.

I have to say apart from the odd gremlin here and there, they have all been very reliable and have never let me down. I am considering replacing my current Range Rover for a newer 2018 one, I just love them

Had a new Diesel Toyota Prado from new in N.Africa in 2004, sold it 10 years later with 70 k kilometres on the clock. Serviced every 12 months at Toyota dealership, zero problems other than a duff roller on the sunroof after 6 months.
Replaced the , oil and filters and wiper blades and 4 new tyres. About half the mileage was off road , on rocky tracks, was 100% reliable , sold it for 50% of what I paid for it. Brilliant car

There is a Hilux forum ?? Why ? what the Fruck do you talk about ? NOTHING ever goes wrong with a Hilux. I speak From African experience.
As any ISIS fighter will confirm... :)

You have put 10K miles a year on an expensive 5.0L car over the last 3 years and use that to defend its reliability ? I have no doubt you have had a good experience with JLR cars, but 30K in 3 years is no test of any vehicles reliability.

Sorry, my bad. How long do I need to drive it for before I'm allowed to report on here?

The thing you guys are missing is Land Rover’s customer service

I had a w210, rusted in front of my eyes, mb not interested

I replaced it with a 211, glycol issue, needed new box , mb not interested

I broke down twice with the fault that a dealer should have picked before delivery in our Discovery 4, got £300 of John Lewis vouchers and an extra 12 months warranty.

No car is perfect but Land Rover care about their customers and Mercedes don’t, in my experience anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom