Range Rover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredT

Car
NO MB :-D , X5, Ducati 748sps, Porsche 996GT2
Sorry guys but i am selling the 'Benz'. ;)

Since this forum is like the fountain of knowledge, i was hoping you guys could shed some light on this.

I've been offered a -03 td6 vogue with 110k miles on the clocks. it's had 2 owners, the last had it for 3 years and selling because of new car. i sort of know the guy and he's never had any problems with it.

is there anything i should be wary about, given the high miles? i dont have time for a troublesome car, so i needs it be relatively nice to me for the next couple of years or so.

i recon it will be around 10-12k, good/bad price?

thanks,
fred

If it was me i'd offer him 7-8000 ish as value of the Range if you are part ex'ing with him. There's a lot of dog's on the market now at that sort of year and mileage so be warey. I'd only go for one with a full main dealer history, as it'll benefit when it comes to sell it.

If it was me i'd offer him 7-8000 ish as value of the Range if you are part ex'ing with him. There's a lot of dog's on the market now at that sort of year and mileage so be warey. I'd only go for one with a full main dealer history, as it'll benefit when it comes to sell it.

Good luck

It has full rr service history, and i know for sure its not had any problems. don't mean it wont develop them...

I looked at buying an L322 Range Rover last year and there were three recommendations;

1. Try and buy a 2005 'facelift' due to a lot of the problems being ironed out by then.

2. Check if the gearbox has been either replaced or reconditioned, the failure rate is quite astonishingly high on them.

3. Check the air suspension raises and drops ok. Iirc the way to check it properly is to set the suspension at its highest setting and leave it up for something like five minutes to see whether there are any leaks which would cause it to drop slowly.

Edit: and this is the worse time of the year to buy one, every seller thinks because we 'might' get an inch of snow that somehow equates to making their vehicle worth a grand more.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually i've now learnt he had it from new, not that it makes much of difference

just offered 9k for it. if not i'll get something else

seems thats the starting price on autotrader, and im sure i could probably get one for 8-8.5

since i have knowledge of the guy, and know its been treated well (i suppose most cars in that pricerange are anyway), ive decided to take a punt. fukk it, whats the worst that can happen :D

Going from a very fast car to a laboriously slow car...it's either all or nothing with the TD6...usually nothing.

It's a Range Rover, it will be a money pit. I've owned two, loved them to bits but they are a constant work in progress.

If you go in with your eyes open you'll enjoy it, if you go in expecting trouble free motoring you will be dissapointed.

TD6 is ultra painfully slow.

It's a Range Rover, it will be a money pit. I've owned two, loved them to bits but they are a constant work in progress.

If you go in with your eyes open you'll enjoy it, if you go in expecting trouble free motoring you will be dissapointed.

Going from a very fast car to a laboriously slow car...it's either all or nothing with the TD6...usually nothing.

cheers guys for inspiring confidence!!! ;):D

i was actually hoping, seeing its basically a bmw, it would reasonably reliable. am i way out here...??

im sort of counting on having to fix the air suspension at some point, if i keep it for a couple of years or more. but seeing this guy had it for best part of 10years, i would've though anything taht would break, would've already.....?

Get used to being overtaken by pedestrians........

cheers guys for inspiring confidence!!! ;):D

A big plus is the fact that he's owned it from new, so you can at least drill him for as much info as possible.

Iirc the 3.0TD6 has roughly 60bhp per ton, which when you compare it to your C320 CDi at roughly 110bhp per ton, it gives you some idea as to how 'quick' it is.

They really are the marmite of the industry. You could get a beauty and be really happy or a dog. I have also had several and love them. But they go wrong at alarming rate.

Check:

Air Suspension: Should raise and lower smoothly and fairly quickly. Can be cheapish to fix or can cost a bomb.
Air conditioning; (very expensive to fix) do not fall for the "oh it need a re-gas" they very rarely do it is usually the motors that fail.
Gearbox: They have a reputation for deciding to shift between high and low ratios all on their own. Expensive to fix.

A big plus is the fact that he's owned it from new, so you can at least drill him for as much info as possible.

Iirc the 3.0TD6 has roughly 60bhp per ton, which when you compare it to your C320 CDi at roughly 110bhp per ton, it gives you some idea as to how 'quick' it is.

Again. Thanks :D

I do realise it will be dog slow, but im also sure my bi monthly trips -london-leicester will be beeaaautiful!

AND, i almost spent 20k on something so that means i can spend 10k on something fast if i want. ducati 848 or some old 2 stroke will also grace the forcourt!
And there will be spare change for when gearbox, suspension and air con fails!

Now, dont talk me out of this!!

:D

Again. Thanks :D

I do realise it will be dog slow, but im also sure my bi monthly trips -london-leicester will be beeaaautiful!

AND, i almost spent 20k on something so that means i can spend 10k on something fast if i want. ducati 848 or some old 2 stroke will also grace the forcourt!
And there will be spare change for when gearbox, suspension and air con fails!

Now, dont talk me out of this!!

:D

Fair play to you. :thumb:

I've always fancied a RR (hence me looking at them last year) whether it be the Sport or Full Fat and the thing that put me off more than anything else was that I'd prefer to wait and buy the V8 diesel.

There is on flaw in my plan though.. he might say no

no way would i buy a 10yr old rr that im not 100% sure of the history, and im not gonna pay over the odds on this one

Have you driven it?

They are painfully slow and not particularly frugal either.

I've driven a full fat one with a V8 TDI engine and I didn't think much of it.

That one has had a few issues - some daft but not been hugely expensive to fix I understand.

Does get up some steep icy gradients though (well the V8 does anyway)!

I found the room somewhat limited, so a sport will probably be worse, but I am quite tall.

It's your choice at the end of the day but think most if not all here tell it like it is rather than dress the truth up...

I just have to read the bad points of the cars I've owned on Honest John and it is quite an eye opener.

However, as said, if you go into it with your eyes open, the maximum you can ever really lose is cost of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom