Range Rovers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

camerafodder

MB Enthusiast
Car
VW Touareg R-line Tech, Toyota IQ2
I'm on the lookout for a 4x4 at the moment and during my search for a suitable Shogun/Pajero (of which I have plenty of experience) it hasn't escaped my notice that there are some very tasty looking V8 P38 Range Rovers, either with LPG conversions or standard petrol for sale for not much money (sub 5K). I've narrowed my search to post 1999 vehicles fitted with the so called 'Thor' engine as this seems to have ironed out previous issues with earlier models.

Does anyone have any RR experiences or advice they wish to share?

Ensure you check the self levelling suspension system. It's expensive to fix and a lot of owners have changed to normal shocks and springs.

If it has Air Con it will either not be working (book symbol on display) or will pack up shortly after you get it home. Usual culprits are the three blend/flap motors. These are 9v motors and real PITA to change. If one fails then the other two are just about to fail. So replace all three.

Air suspension. Can be expensive to fix. Always test it with the car in the mid/normal position. Allow the car to sit for a couple of hours on level ground (engine off) and check if any corners have dropped. If they have then that is leaky air bag.

Alternatively turn the engine on, lift the bonnet and listen for the suspension compressor running continuosly. If it is, it is trying to compensate for a leak or the compressor piston is knackered. You can get refurb kits cjeap on e-bay if it is the compressor. Or as another poster said. Put coils on it and forget about the air suspension. If you are into serious off roading that may be a good idea.

The V8's are good. If the temp gauge is anywhere near red. Walk away or preferably run away. They are notorious for doing heads and people change one head only to have the other go next day. If the temp is good or it has recently had the heads done you should be OK.

If it has a tow bar fitted. Check that the auto box is seemless between gears in both ratios. People tow all sorts with these things and shag out the box. Any lumpy bumpy changes could be bad news. Any flaring of revs between changes, walk away.

They are superb machines that were over engineered for the Chelsea Tractor lifestyle.

If you get a good one you will have great fun with it.

Oh yes.

Check that the rear wiper, sun roof and petrol filler flap all work correctly. If they dont then the BECM may be on the way out. That is very expensive and is coded to the car. So if you replace it you need to get a code guy out. Also replacements (from breakers) can have even worse problems. A good code guy will charge about 60 to read and clear faults down. Do not try and get an OBD scanner.

Being a discovery owner I am a member at landy zone. They're a weird bunch over there, a bit cliquey I found.

Air susp, BECM module, aircon, central locking, and overheating are all probs. Nice drive, though I do find them compact in the back for their gargantuan size.

It'll leak oil so I hope you have a gravel drive!!!! (watch out for punctures if you do.....)

I think we can safely say that most cars have their common issues and problems but the Range Rover is one of them with more than most. Nothing that can't be overcome obviously but how much time and money do you want to shell out. :)

Do you not fancy a 4x4 pick-up?

If you're spending circa £5k, look no further than a Hi-Lux; all you'll ever need to do is change the oil & filters.

The P38 is likely to cost you a fortune in maintenance.

What are you looking to use it for?

Do you not fancy a 4x4 pick-up?

If you're spending circa £5k, look no further than a Hi-Lux; all you'll ever need to do is change the oil & filters.

The P38 is likely to cost you a fortune in maintenance.

What are you looking to use it for?
I've had a few pickups (L200 x2 and Navara x2)and was not not really looking for another one Lee. The Range Rovers just started catching my eye...you know how it is :)

After all I don't want you or MOCAS to level accusations of 'pikeyism' at me! :D

Last edited:
I used to run a P38, now I run 2007 L322 Vogue SE TDV8.

The P38 is a great car, it will cost money to fix no matter how good it appears to be, it will cause some heartache from time to time and no matter how long and hard you look, you won't find a better all round vehicle for the money.

5 grand will get you something which goes anywhere a GL will, is more comfortable than an S class and costs less to run than an E class. Nuff said really, superb value for money.

Being a discovery owner I am a member at landy zone. They're a weird bunch over there, a bit cliquey I found

I found some posters on there are a bit odd, but look past that and the info and threads added are about the best I could find when I was after some advice. (Have had a series 3 and a freelander). Like most 'one model' forums they have some very knowledgable guys on there and some who offer help and sarcasm in equal measure.;) Some nice P38's for sale in their for sale section too. :)

I found some posters on there are a bit odd

Really ??
icon_whistle.gif

Very diplomatically put Sir. I'm a member there and since April 2007 when I joined, my post count has reached the dizzy heights of 33. Somehow I don't fit in for whatever reason.

I can't remember when we didn't have a green oval on the drive in one form or another but even as a die hard LR fan I can see a lot of weird folks in that forum. If you're easily offended then stay out of the OT sections ;)

However, there is a wealth of knowledge on there. There are also plenty of folks who run P38's on a shoestring so it is possible.

rangerovers.net

You avoid the weird people. It is a wealth of solid tested break fix info with experiences and pictures. P38's tend to go wrong in the same way. You broken bit will match everybody else's broken bits.

They are awesome machines. I have a long driveway that any Swiss Ski Jumper would pay money to use. In heavy deep snow.....Decent control on, foot off brake,
sit back in comfort. No drama, no hassle.

I have had four P38's in total. The diesel one hold their value very well. However they are IMHO under powered. The 4.6 HSE is a fantastic beastie. Just be prepared to fix the silly things like the A/C. You usually can't ignore it. It is either permanent ice or thermo nuclear.

I have also had Pajero's/Shogun's. They are simply no match for the drive and ride. get a nice piped leather HSE and you are king of the road, driving around in your own living room.

Ha! I was trying to think of something funny to say about getting winter tyres for it, instead of those comedy bling ultra-fat rubber band profile slicks it's on at present.

I suppose the next step up in grip would be - Caterpillar tracks?
Mattracks | Worldwide Track Technology :D

Cost an arm and a leg for Unimogs though! :eek:

After all I don't want you or MOCAS to level accusations of 'pikeyism' at me! :D

Pikeyism? Sounds a bit like a movement. They're not going to like that one little bit... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom