Rank bit of driving...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Confession time, this morning I approached a T junction which was wet, far too fast. I locked up but kept it straight, regained control and gently drove the remaining distance to the give way line. When I got there I was let out by a a car that had just witnessed my emergency stop. Feeling stupid for locking up and a bit embarassed as well, I floored it to get out of the way of the guy letting me out...............you guessed it, I then hit some fuel on the road causing the back to step out, I over corrected, then opposite locked the other way before proceeding in an orderly fashion down the road.

In the space of 50 yards I had all four wheel locked up, and corrected skids in both directions. Only damage was to my pride :eek: :eek:

R2D2 said:
In the space of 50 yards I had all four wheel locked up, and corrected skids in both directions. Only damage was to my pride :eek: :eek:

No comment mate. :D :D

Oh the joys of EPS/ABS and other such assistance eh. :D

Brian WH said:
No comment mate. :D :D

Oh the joys of EPS/ABS and other such assistance eh. :D

All those letters seem to be getting at brian :)

Poor guy..... :D

I see the ASR light flash at nearly every junction atm, ABS has to do some work as well.

No, I'm not driving like a nutter... in order to prevent black ice etc the councils in south yorkshire have decided to shower everywhere with salt and grit. That's great, but they over-did it and it's like driving on sand or something! It's 11°c outside people! Why grit/salt the roads? I notice that when it was -5°c and people were spinning/rolling their cars off the road the gritters were still in bed! :rolleyes:

Shude said:
I notice that when it was -5°c and people were spinning/rolling their cars off the road the gritters were still in bed! :rolleyes:

The voice of experience - no bitterness left then, mate? ;) (not that I disagree in the slightest....)

Yes, driving in a fairly restrained fashion and the greasy damp roads are a nightmare.

ASR light regularly on and many rear end slides at junctions.

...........guess its time to slow down for the winter!!

R2D2 said:
...........guess its time to slow down for the winter!!

Yes. When you can light the ASR bulb up with gentle acceleration in 2nd gear or 3rd with a bit more effort you know it's time to put a block under the accelerator pedal.

I am taking it very easy in dead at the moment.

Having my car ECU remapped on Friday is in preparation for summer :eek:

Sounds like an awesome fun time to me!

i am also having some ASR moments, the only thing i dislike about it is when the asr takes over the car will suddenly gain grip and give occupants an unwelcome jolt, instead of being able to control the amount of power to slide the car nicely back straight, and of into the distance. my old granada ghia (manual) was really good for this but i used to get ear bashing quite alot from the wife! LOL.
SWITCH off the ASR when you want some fun !!

poor you - but hands up anyone who hasn't done similar :rolleyes: :D

I lose my rear end a little more now the roads are greasy and generally yucky so have to take it more steady :eek: But it's when you do it in public isn't it? Like falling over when you're not drunk :eek:

When the roads are slippery like this it feels like I'm driving with 2 flat tyres at the back, suppose I should stop turning the ASR button off eh :devil:

were you driveing a w202 r2d2 ? i pretty sure theses w202s are very slippy cars mines dead now due to similar caught a fuel spilage on corner cliped kerb with rear and corrected slid out other way ended up one wrong side where car tried to drive through me not noticeing my car being all over the road for a few mins and about 200meters worst is they were speeding and not paying attention to the other road users if they had been paying attention and not speeding they wouldnt have hit my car which i managed to stop but not in right place.

also when the w202 was neally first released it was a day after we had heavy snow and one over took us on clear straight road and it got back onto its side of road and then suddenly went span around to point towards us and withing a second it span around again and ended up on the bank it done a total of 540 spin. i mean it looked like it had stoped and was going to drive back towards us.

being embarassed better than whats happend to me embarassed and a bust car :(

I agree w22 do seem entertaining at times dont they? Wait til the snow:(

Have to agree, roads are pretty awful near me at present. Not really cold (between 5-12c), but they are SO greasy! Low ambient temperatures, diesel spills and various other debris have all contributed to this. What we really need is a couple of days of good rain to wash all the muck away! :D

Time to engage 'winter mode' soon (on me, not just the car! ;) )

As others have mentioned, pulling away from a turning/junction etc requires a bit of reservation on the right foot at present - I have been a little surprised myself at how easy it is to step out the rear, even with the 255/40/18 Eagle F1s! I have noticed that they are taking quite a considerable amount of time to warm up at present.

Perhaps winter tyres are a good idea after all? :)

Drive Safe! ;)

Cheers,

Will

Will said:
I have been a little surprised myself at how easy it is to step out the rear, even with the 255/40/18 Eagle F1s! I have noticed that they are taking quite a considerable amount of time to warm up at present.

Thanks for reminding me Will.

I am not sure if it is the same as in all tyres take longer to warm up in these low single figure temperatures?

Or are these F1's particularly poor in cold temperatures?

I know I get max torque at 2500rpm up, but asking around the office, nobody else seems to have had any trouble.

EDIT: or is the science behind it that larger tyres ie 245's take longer to warm up than say a 205?

Last edited:
GrahamC230K said:
I know I get max torque at 2500rpm up, but asking around the office, nobody else seems to have had any trouble.

It must just be the way we drive!

I have had the back end of mine step out a few times recently and thought I had a problem. Seeing these posts has made me feel a little better.
It is fun though isn't it :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom