Rare 1 of 12 – 1992 AMG Hammer Coupe 6.0 for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wasn't suggesting I could build one for £4K, rather I'd prefer to put that towards doing one from scratch which would then be a known quantity and effectively new.

Rather than spend £4K on a used motor of unknown origin which in reality will then need to be dismantled and re built for peace of mind.

If it's snapped for £4K then clearly it wasn't overpriced. If it sits on the shelf indefinitely the opposite is probably true.

I'm also not entirely bothered if the end article is a genuine factory item (for my own purposes), with correct factory camshafts etc as it would be a frankenstien vehicle anyhow that would most likely require a standalone EFI system to run.

However if you have an early SL60 with a wrecked motor the appeal (and value) is probably greater

Last edited:
Very much depends how you want to look at it. If you're happy to spend 8k+ on something because in your eyes it is new, that is up to you. This “known quantity” is only ever as good as the machinist and person who builds the engine. Go ask Nev about his trans am and known quantity engine builders!

Aside from that as I said you'll never find the parts, it'll always be a one off custom engine with little value. Regrinds wear quicker, it isn't about wanting factory parts

Take this genuine AMG engine, rebuild it, it'll work out cheaper, you'll have genuine parts and an engine that will appreciate in value.

Notice the edit that you don't care for originality, which is fine, but some people do. the appeal would be for a wide SEC in my opinion.

In which case, stick with a 5.0L engine and stick a supercharger on it. I can offer one of those too, including an EFI conversion.

As for whether the 6.0L sells, I should probably do a bit more marketing really.

I used to buy a fair amount of parts from these people back when I was tinkering with SEC's

Home - Garage Van De Velde

I went over there and filled a van with all sorts of W126 parts and sourced a brand new turnkey M117 5.6 and the place was an absolute alladins cave of all sorts of MB parts, and cars, old and new and also AMG.

I emailed them today out of curiosity to see if they had any M119.960 6.0 engines and got the following reply (these are turnkey engines not just blocks):-

Seemed pretty reasonable for a 0 mile turnkey AMG6.0 M119.

Hello,

We have this in stock, brandnew, price is 14.000euro (it is not a rebuild engine, it is a factory new engine)

Best regards,

BVBA GARAGE VAN DE VELDE EN ZOON

DIJKSTRAAT 8

9160 LOKEREN

TEL: +329/3405353

FAX: +329/3405354

[email protected]

Home - Garage Van De Velde

MA-VRIJ: 8.00-11.30; 13.30-17.00

ZA: 08.00-11.30

Last edited:
Reasonable may be, but that is still £7000's worth of difference in cost.

Even with custom piston rings and headgaskets you wouldn't come anywhere near to half of that on a rebuild cost.

If I could just find a LH 6.0 motor to finish the job.

Last edited:
Is this the car that was for sale in Italy a few months back I wonder....

Hi Phil, did you still have that engine?

Phil doesn't seem to have been online for 3.5 years

Phil doesn't seem to have been online for 3.5 years
I thought I’d try, I am guessing it is Phil from rennsport factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom