Rare Aston Martin spotted today ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Saw this today - very rare I think?

rarecar.jpg

Aston Martin DB5 Shooting Brake, badged 'Superleggera' on the bonnet.

It didn't look too bad in real life - hard to get a decent picture with it parked like that though!

It had faint markings (what looked like chinagraph pencil) around various tiny paintwork blemishes, so I guess it was in for some fettling!

Superleggera bodywork is notoriously easy to dent. Sneeze near enough to it and you will make an impression - and not the sort which the owner would be greatly pleased either. :eek:

The aluminium sheet is very thin - formed over a steel tube structure.

I think all DBs up to the 6 used this method, IIRC.

Lovely motor, though. Different. Truly a rose twixt two thorns in that picture...

Last edited:
Super!

The extension spoils the proportions and aesthetics in my opinion.
Ruined a fantastic car.
I can see why only 13 where made.

Even a Scimitar GTE has got nicer lines than that.

Attachments

• 1969_reliant_scimitar_se5_overdrive_30_sb.jpg
    1969_reliant_scimitar_se5_overdrive_30_sb.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
OK its pretty rare but why spoil a nice coupe body? :crazy: Dare say you could buy a standard coupe and a volvo estate for the same money. :confused: Don't mind "supercar estates" that are designed as a piece from the off- don't like the tack on afterthought look however well executed. Doesn't make sense to me sorry.:(
VTD got in there first.:eek:

I always had a soft spot for the GTE. Nearly had a very close encounter with one coming the other way down a country road once - I watched a front wheel detach and come bouncing towards me! Luckily the wheel missed and the GTE managed to stop in a straight line.

Not quite so rare Aston Martin spotted yesterday (99 of these were made):

dbz60.jpg

Those Zagato DB7s are just glorious. The Range Rover obviously approves too!

I see that Range Rover on a regular basis.

Superleggera bodywork is notoriously easy to dent. Sneeze near enough to it and you will make an impression - and not the sort which the owner would be greatly pleased either. :eek:

The aluminium sheet is very thin - formed over a steel tube structure.

I think all DBs up to the 6 used this method, IIRC.

Lovely motor, though. Different. Truly a rose twixt two thorns in that picture...

Not as easy to dent as you would think.
"Superleggera" ( Super Light ) was a term coined by Touring of Milan who developed the skin over tube construction.
Touring licensed the method to AM for use in the DB4, DB5, DB6 builds.

The compound curves of the hand formed aluminium body panels provide a great deal of strength.
The dissimilar metals ( aluminum over steel tube ) caused a bit of galvanic problems...

My experience is in owning a DB-6 Vantage spec ( Chasis DB6/2447/R ) for about fourteen years...

The best motor was the 4.0L Vantage spec with triple Weber 45DCOE's

The Radford built Shooting Brake" is one of the rarer Astons, but the rarest from the factory was the DB4GT Zagato of which only 19 were built..:bannana:

The David Brown built Shooting Brake" is one of the rarer Astons, but the rarest is the DB4GT Zagato of which only 19 were built..:bannana:

Of which I have seen two. One of the most compelling cars ever made.

The Radford built Shooting Brake" is one of the rarer Astons, but the rarest from the factory was the DB4GT Zagato of which only 19 were built..:bannana:

Only 7 of these were built (or at least, sold), apparently. Used to see one quite often parked in Berkeley Street.

1974_Aston_Martin_Lagonda_690.jpg

Not as easy to dent as you would think.
"Superleggera" ( Super Light ) was a term coined by Touring of Milan who developed the skin over tube construction.
Touring licensed the method to AM for use in the DB4, DB5, DB6 builds.
The dissimilar metals ( aluminum over steel tube ) caused a bit of galvanic problems...
Let me compliment you on your mastery of understatement. ;)

Only 7 of these were built (or at least, sold), apparently. Used to see one quite often parked in Berkeley Street.

1974_Aston_Martin_Lagonda_690.jpg

I don't believe it was badged an Aston Martin but a Lagonda...

I don't believe it was badged an Aston Martin but a Lagonda...

At this stage Lagonda was a model name, not the marque.

From Chris Harvey's book Aston Martin and Lagonda:

David Brown, who had loved the name Lagonda, showed great enthusiasm when a new one based on the Aston Martin DBS was visualized in 1966; the go-ahead was given in 1968... They called it the Aston Martin Lagonda, and it was given a modified series three V8-style front and a carburetter engine. Seven were made between November 1974 and the time of Company Developments' demise at Newport Pagnell, some being finished while under the receiver. The price was £15,638 including tax - nearly £3000 more than an Aston Martin V8 at that time.

I bought my 124 cabrio from the 2nd owner, who owned the car for 9 years from the late 90s. He told me that he was once followed to his home, just outside Bicester, by two guys in an Aston Martin, who made themselves known as Aston employees. They explained they were working on a convertible model, and asked to see the mechanism of the 124 roof in action, figuring that MB would be a good source of education.

Sorry dont have a picture :( but I saw a Aston Martin DB5 Cabrio cruising round with top down and a couple of lads messing about like it was an old vauxhall.

It didnt look like Wills and Harry but cant imagine who else would have one, never mind drive it on public roads.

I didnt even know there was a cabrio version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom